Carl Joseph Barbier
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana|
|Assumed office |
October 1, 1998
|Appointed by||Bill Clinton|
|Preceded by||Okla Jones|
Carl Joseph Barbier
1944 (age 74–75)
New Orleans, Louisiana
|Education||Southeastern Louisiana University (B.A.)|
Loyola University New Orleans School of Law (J.D.)
Carl Joseph Barbier (born 1944) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana.
Education and career
Born in 1944 in New Orleans, Louisiana, Barbier attended West Jefferson High School before receiving a Bachelor of Arts degree from Southeastern Louisiana University in 1966 and a Juris Doctor from Loyola University New Orleans School of Law in 1970. He was a law clerk to Judge William Redman, Louisiana Court of Appeal, Fourth Circuit from 1969 to 1970, and to Judge Fred Cassibry of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana from 1970 to 1971. Barbier was in private practice in New Orleans from 1971 to 1998.
Federal judicial service
On May 19, 1998, Barbier was nominated by President Bill Clinton to a seat on the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana vacated by Okla Jones. Barbier was confirmed by the United States Senate on September 28, 1998, and received his commission on October 1, 1998.
On November 14, 2011, Barbier ruled that BP, the company that leased the Deepwater Horizon oil rig, must face federal maritime lawsuits by Alabama and Louisiana. On September 4, 2014, he further found BP to be grossly negligent in the spill, attributing 67% of the blame to the company. As a result, the company may be liable for as much as $18 billion in fines under the Clean Water Act.
- Editorial, Aspen Publishers (1995-12-31). Almanac of the Federal Judiciary, vols 1 and 2 through 2011-1 Supp. Aspen Publishers. pp. 3–5. ISBN 9780735568891.
- "BP Oil Spill Lawsuits Centralized in New Orleans". AboutLawsuits.com. 2010-08-07. Retrieved 2010-08-11.
- Fisk, Margaret Cronin; Johnson, Allen Jr. (November 15, 2011). "BP Must Face Gulf Spill Claims From Alabama and Louisiana". Bloomberg News. Retrieved November 15, 2011.[permanent dead link]
- Krauss, Clifford; Campbell Robertson (September 4, 2014). "Judge Finds BP 'Reckless' in Oil Spill; May Levy $18 Billion Fine". New York Times. Retrieved September 4, 2014.
- Carl Barbier at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
| Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana