Carl Bezold (18 May 1859, Donauwörth – 21 November 1922, Heidelberg) was a German orientalist. Primarily known for his Akkadian (Babylonian-Assyrian) research, he also worked with other Semitic languages—Syriac, Ge'ez (Ethiopic) and Arabic.
He was educated at the Universities of Munich and Leipzig, where he studied with Assyrologist Friedrich Delitzsch. In 1883 he obtained his habilitation at Munich with a thesis titled Die Schatzhöhle; aus dem syrischen texte dreier unedirten Handschriften  ("The Treasure Trove", second part issued in 1888). Later on, he spent several years working at the British Museum in London. In 1894 he became a full professor at the University of Heidelberg.
At the British Museum, he arranged and cataloged the large collection of cuneiform texts from the Library of Ashurbanipal at Nineveh, publishing "Catalogue of Cuneiform Tablets in the Kouyundjik Collection of the British Museum", (1889) as a result. In London, he also recorded the clay tablets of El-Amarna (Egypt), of which he published "The Tell el-Amarna Tablets in the British Museum", (1892).
In 1884, along with Fritz Hommel, he founded the journal Zeitschrift für Keilschriftforschung und verwandte Gebiete, which in 1886 was superseded by the Zeitschrift für Assyriologie und verwandte Gebiete. Bezold was sole publisher of the journal in the period from 1886 to 1922, during which 34 volumes were published.
- Bezold , Carl Christian Ernst @ NDB/ADB Deutsche Biographie
- Archive.org Die Schatzhöhle; aus dem syrischen texte dreier unedirten Handschriften
- Archive.org Catalogue of the cuneiform tablets in the Kouyunjik collection of the British museum
- Archive.org The Tell El-Amarna Tablets in the British Museum with Autotype Facsimiles
- HathiTrust Digital Library; Zeitschrift für Keilschriftforschung und verwandte Gebiete
- Bezold, Carl. Kebra Nagast: Die Herrlichkeit der Könige (Kebra Nagast: the Glory of the Kings) Abhandlungen der Königlich Bayerischen Akademie, Band 23, Abth.
- "Glasgow University jubilee" The Times (London). Friday, 14 June 1901. (36481), p. 10.
- OCLC WorldCat Babylonisch-assyrisches Glossar
- Friedrich Wilhelm Bautz (1975). "Carl Bezold". In Bautz, Friedrich Wilhelm. Biographisch-Bibliographisches Kirchenlexikon (BBKL) (in German). 1. Hamm: Bautz. col. 574. ISBN 3-88309-013-1.
|This article on a German linguist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|