Carl E. Reichardt
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (November 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Carl E. Reichardt (born 1931) is a retired American business executive. He was president of Wells Fargo & Company from 1978 to 1984 and then chairman of the board of directors until the end of 1994.
Reichardt received his BA degree in economics from the University of Southern California in 1956. In his banking career he joined Wells Fargo in 1970, rising to the post of president in 1978. He was also named chief operating officer in 1981.
In January 1983 he succeeded Richard P. Cooley as chairman and chief executive officer of Wells Fargo. Reichardt relinquished the office of president to Paul Hazen in 1984. Together they guided the bank through the mergers with Crocker National Corporation in 1986 and Barclays Bank of California in 1988 and the recession of the early 1990s. At the end of December 1994, Reichardt retired from the board of directors of Wells Fargo.
Reichardt also served on the boards of a number of corporations, include Pacific Gas & Electric, ConAgra, HCA, McKesson, HSBC Holdings PLC, and the Newhall Management Corporation. In addition, he has served as a director of University of San Francisco and of the University of Southern California.
- Bennett, Robert A. (3 December 1989). The Banker Who Would Be Scrooge, The New York Times, Retrieved November 18, 2010
- (20 July 1994). Wells Fargo Chairman Is Retiring The New York Times, Retrieved November 18, 2010
- (22 March 1978). Wells Fargo Restructures Top; Names Reichardt to Head Bank, The New York Times, Retrieved November 18, 2010
- Pollack, Andrew (16 February 1986). Carl Reichardt's California Playpen, The New York Times, Retrieved November 18, 2010
- 1982 Annual Report Archived July 18, 2011, at the Wayback Machine., p.4, Wells Fargo & Company, Retrieved November 18, 2010
- Stoll, John D. (28 August 2006) Ford Director Resigns as Company Mulls Sale of Luxury Marques, The New York Sun, Retrieved November 18, 2010 ("In April, former executives Jim Padilla and Carl E. Reichardt resigned from the board.")
- Maynard, Michelle (31 October 2001). 2 New Top Executives Ready to Share Management Load, The New York Times, Retrieved November 18, 2010 ("Mr. Ford named Carl E. Reichardt, the retired chief executive of Wells Fargo & Company, as vice chairman, with sweeping responsibilities over Ford's financial, leasing, credit and rental car operations.")
- (17 June 2003). VICE CHAIRMAN FOR FINANCE TO LEAVE POST AT FORD, The New York Times, Retrieved November 18, 2010