January 28, 1991 |
|Height||6 ft 3 in (191 cm)|
|Weight||205 lb (93 kg; 14 st 9 lb)|
|Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod
|NHL Draft||34th overall, 2009
Klingberg was born on January 28, 1991, in Gothenburg, Sweden, and started playing ice hockey at an early age for Lerums BK. He has two younger brothers, both of whom are active hockey players as defencemen; John born 1992 who was drafted 131st overall in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft by the Dallas Stars, and Olle, born 1997, who is playing with Frölunda J18.
Klingberg was drafted in the second round, 34th overall, by the Atlanta Thrashers in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft. After having finished the season with Timrå, Klingberg joined the Thrashers' American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate the Chicago Wolves. He made his AHL debut on March 19 in a 3–4 loss against the Oklahoma City Barons, and scored his first goal on March 27 in a 2–3 loss against the Rockford Icehogs. Klingberg was called up by the Thrashers to make his NHL debut in their last game of the season—and the franchise's last game as the Thrashers—on April 10 against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
In the off-season the Thrashers were sold and relocated to Winnipeg, Manitoba, where they became the second incarnation of the Winnipeg Jets. Klingberg's goal was to start the season with the Jets in the NHL, but on September 30 he was assigned to the Jets' AHL affiliate the St. John's IceCaps. Klingberg scored a goal in the IceCaps 4–1 win in their premier game against the Providence Bruins. He scored the IceCaps first goal on home ice, and another two for a hattrick in the IceCaps 6–2 win against the Hamilton Bulldogs, and another two goals in a 4–3 win over the Bridgeport Sound Tigers a few days later to start the season with six goals in six games. After having scored nine goals and 16 points in 20 games Klingberg was called up to the Jets, where he played six games in the NHL before being reassigned back to the IceCaps, after the Jets had acquired forward Antti Miettinen off waivers.
In the 2014–15 season, Klingberg was unable to solidify a roster spot with the Jets and on March 1, 2015, he was traded to the New York Rangers for Forward Lee Stempniak. Klingberg was assigned to the Rangers' AHL affiliate, the Hartford Wolf Pack for the remainder of the season. He contributed offensively with 11 points in 13 games.
Without featuring for the Rangers, Klingberg as an impending restricted free agent signed a one-year contract with Russian based, Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod of the KHL on June 21, 2015.
Regular season and playoffs
|2011–12||St. John's IceCaps||AHL||66||15||22||37||39||12||1||1||2||0|
|2012–13||St. John's IceCaps||AHL||66||11||12||23||40||—||—||—||—||—|
|2013–14||St. John's IceCaps||AHL||65||22||21||43||42||21||3||5||8||14|
|2014–15||St. John's IceCaps||AHL||51||15||15||30||41||—||—||—||—||—|
|2014–15||Hartford Wolf Pack||AHL||13||2||9||11||4||13||4||3||7||6|
|Competitor for Sweden|
|Men's ice hockey|
|World Junior Championships|
- Bodin, Uffe (2011-03-07). "Säsongen fortsätter för Klingberg". HockeySverige (in Swedish). Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- Bodin, Uffe (2011-03-20). "Klingberg AHL-debuterade som förlorare". HockeySverige (in Swedish). Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- Bodin, Uffe (2011-03-28). "Klingberg spräckte nollan". HockeySverige (in Swedish). Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- Bodin, Uffe (2011-08-24). "Rensade luften med Frölunda". HockeySverige (in Swedish). Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- Winther, Ola (2011-09-06). "Klingberg trivs i sin nya hemstad". HockeySverige (in Swedish). Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- Campbell, Tim (2011-10-01). "Club makes 4 tough cuts; Noel shows Trotz who's boss". Winnipeg Free Press. Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- Pettersson, Robert (2011-10-08). "Klingberg öppnade med mål". HockeySverige (in Swedish). Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- Bodin, Uffe (2011-10-16). "Hattrick av Calle Klingberg". HockeySverige (in Swedish). Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- Pettersson, Robert (2011-10-23). "Klingberg fortsatt målhet". HockeySverige (in Swedish). Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- "The Jets call up forward Carl Klingberg". Global News. 2011-11-30. Retrieved 2011-12-17.
- Tait, Ed (2011-12-16). "Miettinen looks forward to 'normal life' in Winnipeg". Winnipeg Free Press. Retrieved 2011-12-17.
- "Carl Klingberg scored his first NHL goal in friday's win over the Flames". thescore.com. 2014-04-11. Retrieved 2014-04-11.
- "Rangers trade Lee Stempniak to Jets for Carl Klingberg". National Hockey League. 2015-03-01. Retrieved 2015-03-01.
- "Another Swede joins Torpedo for new season" (in Russian). Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod. 2015-06-21. Retrieved 2015-06-21.