Carl Mitcham (born 1941) is a philosopher of technology. Mitcham is a Professor of Liberal Arts and International Studies at the Colorado School of Mines and a professor at the European Graduate School in Saas-Fee.
Life and work
Mitcham, a graduate of W. W. Samuell High School in Dallas, was educated at the University of Colorado (BA, MA) and Fordham University (PhD). Teaching appointments include Berea College (Kentucky), St. Catherine College (Kentucky), Brooklyn Polytechnic University, and Pennsylvania State University. Mitcham was a selective political objector to the Vietnam War; although he refused military induction he is not a pacifist.
Mitcham has also engaged in the translation of notable philosophical works; for example, in 2004, he helped translate "Fundamentos de la Meta-Técnica" ("The Foundations of Meta-Technics") by Venezuelan philosopher Ernesto Mayz Vallenilla.
In November 2006 Mitcham received the international World Technology Network award for Ethics.
On May 26, 2010, Prof. Mitcham received the Doctor <<Honoris Causa>> award by the Valencian International University (Valencia, Spain). Prof. López Cerezo (Universidad de Oviedo) made a Eulogy and Prof. Mitcham read the speech entitled "Ethics and Technology: The Axial Age".
Mitcham has authored and co-authored numerous publications. Books, a selection:
- Mitcham, Carl, and Robert Mackey, eds. Philosophy and technology. Free Press, 1972.
- Mitcham, Carl. Thinking through technology: The path between engineering and philosophy. University of Chicago Press, 1994.
- Frodeman, R., Klein, J.T., & Mitcham, C. (2010) The Oxford handbook of interdisciplinarity. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2010.
Articles, a selection:
- Morse, Janice M., et al. "Concept analysis in nursing research: a critical appraisal." Research and Theory for Nursing Practice 10.3 (1996): 253-277.
- Hupcey, J. E., Penrod, J., Morse, J. M., & Mitcham, C. (2001). An exploration and advancement of the concept of trust. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 36(2), 282-293.
- Strijbos, Sytse, and Carl Mitcham. "Art.Systems and Systems Thinking." Carl Mitcham (Hg.):Encyclopedia of science, technology, and ethics, Thomson Gale (2005): 1880-1884.
- Fisher, Erik, Roop L. Mahajan, and Carl Mitcham. "Midstream modulation of technology: governance from within." Bulletin of Science, Technology & Society 26.6 (2006): 485-496.
- Carl Mitcham Archived May 28, 2010, at the Wayback Machine. at Colorado School of Mines. Hennebach Program in the Humanities.
- Carl Mitcham Archived May 27, 2010, at the Wayback Machine. Faculty page at European Graduate School Biography, bibliography and lectures. (Accessed May 10, 2010)
- 2,481 Graduate From Nine Dallas High Schools at Commencement. The Dallas Morning News, 30 May 1959.
- Google Scholar Profile
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Carl Mitcham.|