Carl Pope (environmentalist)
Carl Pope is the former Executive Director of the Sierra Club, an American environmental organization founded by conservationist John Muir in 1892. Pope was appointed to his position as Executive Director in 1992, and served until January 20, 2010, when he was succeeded by Michael Brune. Pope then served as chairman of the Sierra Club until stepping down from that position in November 2011.
Pope had worked with the Sierra Club for more than 30 years, and has served as a board member for other organizations, including the National Clean Air Coalition, California Common Cause, and Public Interest Economics Inc. He has served as Political Director for Zero Population Growth. He was a Peace Corps volunteer in India from 1967 to 1969.
On June 7, 2006, in Washington, D.C., Carl Pope, along with labor leader Leo Gerard, announced the formation of the United Steelworkers' and Sierra Club's Blue/Green Alliance, after five years of negotiations between the two groups. The alliance focuses on interrelated issues that both organizations feel are important, including: a clean environment, better jobs, and a safer world.
In 2008, Pope expressed support for the Pickens Plan, an effort by T. Boone Pickens to reduce America's dependence on foreign oil. Pickens, a billionaire oil investor, Republican, and financier of conservative causes, took Pope to his ranch in west Texas, where Pickens and a group of investors plan to invest $12 billion in wind turbines.
In January 2009, Pope had announced his intention to step down from the post of Executive Director, effective upon the hiring of a successor.
On April 18, 2017, Pope published a book with Michael Bloomberg on titled Climate of Hope: How Cities, Businesses, and Citizens Can Save the Planet. He appeared on The Daily Show with Trevor Noah with Bloomberg May 3 to promote the book.
- "Carl Pope to Step Down as Executive Director of Sierra Club" (Press release). Sierra Club. January 20, 2010. Retrieved January 20, 2010.
- "Notable Former Volunteers / Nonprofit and Development". Peace Corps. Archived from the original on September 16, 2008. Retrieved August 19, 2008.
- "Sierra Club, United Steelworkers Announce 'Blue-Green Alliance'" (Press release). Sierra Club. June 7, 2006. Retrieved August 19, 2008.
- "USW and Sierra Club Announced 'Blue/Green Alliance'" (Press release). United Steelworkers. June 7, 2006. Archived from the original on April 29, 2007. Retrieved May 25, 2007.
- "Carl Pope on 'Better know a Lobby'" (Press release). The Colbert Report. July 21, 2008.
- "Texas oilman T. Boone Pickens wants to supplant oil with wind". USA Today. July 11, 2008. Retrieved August 19, 2008.
- Pope, Carl; Rauber, Paul (May 4, 2006). Strategic Ignorance: Why the Bush Administration Is Recklessly Destroying a Century of Environmental Progress. Sierra Club Books. ISBN 1-57805-125-8.