|Born||1967 (age 55–56)|
|Church||Orthodox Presbyterian Church|
|Influences||J. I. Packer|
|School or tradition||Calvinism|
Carl R. Trueman (born 1967) is an English Christian theologian and ecclesiastical historian. He was Professor of Historical Theology and Church History at Westminster Theological Seminary, where he held the Paul Woolley Chair of Church History. In 2018 Trueman left Westminster and became a professor at Grove City College in their Department of Biblical and Religious Studies.
Among Trueman's books are John Owen: Reformed Catholic, Renaissance Man,The Creedal Imperative, Fools Rush in Where Monkeys Fear to Tread: Taking Aim at Everyone, and Republocrat: Confessions of a Liberal Conservative. In 2020, Trueman published what is probably his most popular and widely read book, The Rise and Triumph of the Modern Self: Cultural Amnesia, Expressive Individualism, and the Road to Sexual Revolution. His most recent book, Strange New World: How Thinkers and Activists Redefined Identity and Sparked the Sexual Revolution, is a condensed version of his previous book. He contributes to First Things (Journal of Religion and Public Life) blogs regularly at Reformation21 and co-hosts the Mortification of Spin podcast.
Trueman studied at Marling School, Gloucestershire, St Catharine's College, Cambridge and the University of Aberdeen, and previously taught at the University of Aberdeen and the University of Nottingham. He was editor of Themelios from 1998 to 2007, and is a council member of the Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals. Trueman is a fellow in Ethics and Public Policy Center’s Evangelicals in Civic Life Program.
In 2022, he appeared in documentary What Is a Woman?.
- DeYoung, Kevin (6 June 2014). "Bio, Books, and Such: Carl Trueman". The Gospel Coalition. Retrieved 18 May 2019.
- "Carl Trueman". Lancaster, Pennsylvania: Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals. Retrieved 18 May 2019.
- "Carl R. Trueman". Grove City College. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- "Renowned Christian scholar Carl Trueman to join faculty". Grove City College. Retrieved 24 April 2018.
- Trueman, Carl (2007), John Owen: Reformed Catholic, Renaissance Man, WTS books, ISBN 9780754614708.
- Trueman, Carl (2012), The creedal imperative, WTS books, ISBN 978-1-43352190-4.
- Trueman, Carl (2012), Fools rush in where monkeys fear to tread, WTS books, ISBN 978-1-59638405-7.
- Trueman, Carl (2010), Republocrat, WTS books, ISBN 978-1-59638183-4.
- Andrew T. Walker (18 November 2020), "The Most Important Cultural Book of the Year (Maybe Even Decade)", The Gospel Coalition
- Trueman, Carl R. (24 November 2020). The Rise and Triumph of the Modern Self. Crossway. ISBN 978-1-4335-5633-3.
- Trueman, Carl R. (22 March 2022). Strange New World. Crossway. ISBN 978-1-4335-7930-1.
- First Things, 22 June 2023,
- Reformation 21.
- What church do, Alliance net.
- "Carl Trueman - Westminster Theological SeminaryWestminster Theological Seminary". Archived from the original on 16 November 2017. Retrieved 16 November 2017.
- "Carl R. Trueman, Author at Ethics & Public Policy Center".