3 March 1973 |
Carla Bonner (born 3 March 1973) is an Australian actress best known for playing the role of Stephanie Scully in the soap opera Neighbours, a role she played from 1999 to 2010. She was also a guest on Celebrity Big Brother Australia in 2002. Following her departure from Neighbours, Bonner wrote a book called Hook, Line and Sink Her and guest starred in an episode of Wentworth. She briefly reprised the role of Steph in 2013 and has returned to Neighbours as a permanent cast member since October 2015.
Prior to her acting role on Neighbours, Bonner's experience was confined to television commercials and programmes, including a guest role on Raw FM. When Emma Roche unexpectedly quit the role of Stephanie Scully in Neighbours, Bonner auditioned for the part and was immediately cast as Steph.
On 3 June 2010, it was announced that Bonner had quit Neighbours after eleven years. The character of Stephanie was not killed off, leaving the door open for a potential return. The show's executive producer, Susan Bower, said "The storylines on-air and coming up showcase what an exceptional talent Carla is and while fans will be disappointed, I promise Steph's farewell will be long remembered and will do the character proud."
In 2012, Bonner wrote and published a dating book for men called Hook, Line and Sink Her. That same year, it was announced that Bonner would be returning to Neighbours for two months. The actress began filming her scenes in January 2013 and she made her on-screen return as Steph on 15 April 2013. Bonner portrayed Manda Katsis in episode four of Wentworth. On 10 September 2013, it was announced that Bonner had teamed up with writer and producer Gary O'Toole to develop a 12-part television series based on Hook, Line and Sink Her.
In July 2015, it was reported that Bonner would return to Neighbours as Steph Scully from October.
Bonner lives in Belgrave, Melbourne with her sons Harley Bonner (born April 1991) and Jhye, (born January 1998). She dated Australian celebrity Sullivan Stapleton, brother of her one-time co-star Jacinta Stapleton. In 2008, she dated a personal trainer. Harley joined the cast of Neighbours in 2013. He originally refused to be on the show, but changed his mind when he was cast as Josh Willis.
Outside Neighbours Bonner follows various public pursuits. She has been involved in several mainstream Australian charities over the years.
|1997||Raw FM||Erin||Episode: "Cara"|
|1999–2010, 2013, 2015–||Neighbours||Stephanie Scully||Regular role|
|2013||Wentworth||Manda Katsis||Episode: "The Things We Do"|
- Raven, Neil (25 October 2002). "Martial arts fan gets a kick out of Neighbours". Sunday Sun (Trinity Mirror). Archived from the original on 25 February 2012. Retrieved 16 February 2010.
- "Carla Bonner aka Steph Scully set to quit Neighbours and head off to Los Angeles". Herald Sun (The Herald and Weekly Times). 4 June 2010. Retrieved 11 November 2010.
- "Carla Bonner wants Neighbours return for Steph". What's on TV. IPC Media. 10 June 2012. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- "New faces and big-name returns for Ramsay Street in 2013". Channel 5. Northern & Shell. 4 November 2012. Archived from the original on 5 October 2013. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- Miller, Erin (10–16 November 2012). "There goes the neighbourhood". TV Week (ACP Magazines) (45): 20–21.
- "Biography". McMahon Management. Retrieved 23 May 2013.
- Groves, Don (10 September 2013). "TV version of romance guide for men in the works". If Magazine. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- "Carla Bonner returns to Neighbours". TV Week. Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- Byrne, Fiona (20 July 2008). "Bonner's New Beau". Herald Sun. Retrieved 11 November 2010.
- "Actor Harley Bonner opens up on why he chose to act on Neighbours". news.com.au. Retrieved 20 July 2015.
- "Neighbours star on driving charges". The Age (Melbourne). 3 August 2007. Retrieved 19 April 2008.
- "Neighbours Star Fined After Crash". Herald Sun. 4 August 2007. Retrieved 10 November 2010.