Carla E. Brodley is a computer scientist specializing in machine learning for time series data. She is the Dean of the College of Computer and Information Science at Northeastern University, and as dean has pushed for greater enrollment of women in computer science.
Education and career
Brodley is a 1985 graduate of McGill University. At McGill, she initially chose to major in English, quickly switching to economics, but switched again to a double major in mathematics in computer science after taking and enjoying a computer programming course as a sophomore. After working as a consultant and computer programmer in Boston, she returned to graduate school, initially planning only to work for a master's degree in artificial intelligence, but continuing there for a Ph.D. under the supervision of Paul Utgoff.
After finishing her doctorate in 1994, she joined the electrical engineering faculty of Purdue University. She moved from Purdue to Tufts University in 2004, and became chair of the department of computer science at Tufts from 2010 to 2013, also holding an affiliation with the Clinical and Translational Science Institute at Tufts Medical Center. She moved again from Tufts to Northeastern in 2014.
- Carla E. Brodley: Dean – College of Computer and Information Science; Professor, Northeastern University College of Computer and Information Science, retrieved 2018-10-15
- St. Martin, Greg (May 17, 2016), "CCIS Dean's own path spurs drive to increase student opportunities", News@Northeastern, Northeastern University, retrieved 2018-10-15
- Rayome, By Alison DeNisco (January 11, 2017), "How Northeastern plans to reach equal male-female computer science enrollment by 2021", TechRepublic, retrieved 2018-10-15
- "Interview with Carla Brodley", CRA-W Newsletter, Computing Research Association, Winter–Spring 2014, retrieved 2018-10-15
- Carla Brodley, National Center for Women & Information Technology, retrieved 2018-10-15
- CCIS Dean Carla Brodley named 2016 ACM Fellow, Northeastern University College of Computer and Information Science, December 8, 2016, retrieved 2018-10-15
- "Carla Brodley", ACM Fellows, Association for Computing Machinery, retrieved 2018-10-15