Carlisle Community Schools
Carlisle Community Schools, also known as the Carlisle School District, is a school district headquartered in Carlisle, Iowa, United States, in Greater Des Moines. The district is located southeast of Downtown Des Moines. It includes the cities of Carlisle, Avon Lake, and Hartford, and it also serves a southeastern portion of the City of Des Moines. The district includes territory in Polk County and Warren County.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (April 2013)
Around 1979 enrollment in the district was increasing. That year, the Hartford Attendance Center had two fewer classrooms than needed, while the Des Moines Schools were having to close unused schools.
In 2007 the district voted to suspend open enrollment partly in order to ensure that class sizes remained small.
In 2008 the board of directors of the district recommended the establishment of a school foundation. The Empowering Carlisle Community Schools foundation was established.
Three schools, Carlisle High School (9-12), Carlisle Middle School (6-8), and Carlisle Elementary School (PreK-3) are within the city limits. The high school, the lower elementary school, and the district headquarters are adjacent to one another. Hartford Upper Elementary School (4-5) is not within the City of Carlisle. It is located in Hartford.
- "Contact the Carlisle School District Archived February 18, 2013, at the Wayback Machine." (Archive) Carlisle Community Schools. Retrieved on April 3, 2013. "430 School Street Carlisle, Iowa 50047"
- "About the Carlisle School District." (Archive) Carlisle Community Schools. Retrieved on April 3, 2013.
- "Our Location." (Archive) Carlisle Community Schools. Retrieved on April 3, 2013. "Carlisle Elementary School, which is immediately adjacent to the high school and the district office, serves students from pre-kindergarten to grade 3."
- "Map 1." (Archive) Carlisle Community Schools. Retrieved on April 3, 2013.
- "Map 2." (Archive) Carlisle Community Schools. Retrieved on April 3, 2013.
- Boles, Irene. "A Look at Problems in the School District." The Carlisle Citizen. Thursday February 22, 1979. Issue 53, No. 51. Page 1. Retrieved from Google News (1 of 12) on April 4, 2013.
- Pulliam, Jason. "Headed south for school." Des Moines Register. March 23, 2007. B2 Metro Iowa. Retrieved on April 3, 2013. "The Carlisle school board recently voted to suspend open enrollment, in part, to help keep class sizes small."
- "Carlisle Community Schools Establishes a School Foundation." The Carlisle Citizen. Thursday January 24, 2008. Page 2. Retrieved from Google News (1 of 11) on April 3, 2013.
- "About Hartford Upper Elementary." (Archive) Carlisle Community Schools. Soft Retrieved on April 3, 2013.