Carlo Petrini at Identità Golose Conference 2010
June 22, 1949
Carlo Petrini (born 22 June 1949), born in the province of Cuneo in the commune of Bra in Italy, is the founder of the International Slow Food Movement. He first came to prominence in the 1980s for taking part in a campaign against the fast food chain McDonald's opening near the Spanish Steps in Rome. In 1983, he helped to create and develop the Italian non-profit food and wine association known as Arcigola.
Petrini was formerly a political activist in the communist movement Partito di Unità Proletaria. In 1977, Petrini began contributing culinary articles to communist daily newspapers il manifesto and l'Unità. He is an editor of multiple publications at the publishing house Slow Food Editore. He has written weekly columns for La Stampa and is currently a regular journalist on La Repubblica. In October 2004, he founded the University of Gastronomic Sciences, a school intended to bridge the gap between agriculture and gastronomy. He was chosen as one of Time magazine's heroes of the year. He is now a supporter and member of the Italian Democratic Party (center-left wing). Petrini was proposed for politician roles (as Minister).
Carlo received many awards and rewards including: Communicator of the Year at the International Wine and Spirit Competition in London; Sicco Mansholt Price in Holland; honorary degree in cultural anthropology from the University of New Hampshire; Eckart Witzigmann Science and Media Prize from Germany.
- Slow Food Nation: Why Our Food Should Be Good, Clean, and Fair, Rizzoli, May 2007, ISBN 0-8478-2945-6
- Slow Food Revolution: A New Culture for Dining and Living in conversation with Gigi Padovani, Rizzoli, September 2006, ISBN 0-8478-2873-5
- Slow Food: The Case for Taste (Arts & Traditions of the Table: Perspectives on Culinary History), Columbia University Press, April 2003, ISBN 0-231-12844-4
- Slow Food Nation, a speech at Princeton University, 17 May 2007.
- Time Heroes 2004
- Carlo Petrini: The slow food star , The Independent, Allison Roberts, December 2006
- Slow Food guru spreads gospel in high places, The Observer, Jasper Gerard, June 17, 2007
- 2006 Speech (simultaneously translated) from the Environmental Grantmakers Association, Fall Retreat Keynote
- on YouTube, San Francisco, October 2005