|Born||25 September 1968|
Omegna (VB), Italy
|Occupation(s)||Lawyer, free software advocate|
|Known for||Free software advocacy, antitrust activities, open standards|
Carlo Piana is a lawyer by training and a free software advocate. A qualified attorney in Italy, Piana has been practicing IT law since 1995, focusing his practice on software, technology, standardization, data protection and digital liberties in general, and served as external general counsel to the Free Software Foundation Europe ("FSFE").
Piana has been involved in some of the cornerstone legal cases in Europe, such as the long-running antitrust battle between the EU Commission and Microsoft, where he represents both the FSFE and the Samba Team, the standardization of OOXML at ISO/IEC, and more recently defending Oracle in its attempted acquisition of Sun Microsystems.
Piana is a member of the Editorial Committee of the International Free and Open Source Software Law Review ("IFOSS L. rev.") and has been a member of the board of the Open Source Initiative since 2022.
In 2008 he established a freelance consulting practice on IT law, where he leads a small group of IT lawyers named Array.
- "Areas of practice". Piana.eu. 10 November 2015. Retrieved 17 March 2019.
- Kanter, James (29 April 2006). "Band of Activists in Europe Holds the Line in the Case Against Microsoft". The New York Times. Retrieved 17 March 2019 – via NYTimes.com.
- Voice, European (21 May 2008). "Microsoft's new battle with old enemy". POLITICO. Retrieved 17 March 2019.
- "Mr Carlo Piana, Europe's Free Software legal hero, joins as Oracle co-counsel - OpenLife.cc". openlife.cc. Retrieved 17 March 2019.
- "Groklaw - Reasons I Believe the Community Should Support the Oracle-Sun Deal - Updated 3Xs". www.groklaw.net. Retrieved 17 March 2019.
- "International Free and Open Source Software Law Review". ifosslr.org. Retrieved 17 March 2019.
- "Open Source Initiative". opensource.org. Retrieved 23 May 2022.
- "OSI Board Elections Results". opensource.org. 21 March 2022. Retrieved 23 May 2022.
- "Home". Array.eu. Retrieved 23 May 2022.
This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (March 2019)
- Array is an array Array official website
-  Interview by Groklaw
- Law is Freedom Blog, both in Italian and in English
- Profile on Fossbazaar
- IFOSS L. rev. Editorial Committee
- Interview by Roberto Galoppini (Commercial Open Source Software)
- Recommended lawyer by the FSFE's Freedom Task Force
- Interview by Linux World