|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2010)|
|Carlo Scognamiglio Pasini|
Scognamiglio at an Aspen Institute Conference, 2008
|President of the Italian Senate|
16 April 1994 – 8 May 1996
|Preceded by||Giovanni Spadolini|
|Succeeded by||Nicola Mancino|
|Italian Minister of Defense|
21 October 1998 – 22 December 1999
|Prime Minister||Massimo D'Alema|
|Preceded by||Beniamino Andreatta|
|Succeeded by||Sergio Mattarella|
27 November 1944 |
|Political party||Italian Liberal Party
Union of the Centre
Democratic Union for the Republic
Italian Liberal Party
Carlo Scognamiglio Pasini (born 27 November 1944) is an Italian economist and politician. He is a university professor in applied economics and was chancellor of the Luiss University of Rome (1984–1992). He was President of the Italian Senate from 1994 to 1996 and Minister of Defense from 1998 to 1999.
Life and career
Re-elected in 1994, during the XII Legislature, Scognamiglio was elected as President of Senate.
In 1998 he joined the project of former President Francesco Cossiga, the Democratic Union for the Republic, and was Minister of Defense from 21 October 1998 to 22 December 1999, covering the NATO's intervention in Kosovo (March-June 1999). As Defense Minister he promoted the repeal of the draft, the transformation of the Italian armed forces on professional bases, the opening of military service to women, and the rise of the Corp of Carabinieri as a forth branch of Italian armed forces.
He is the author of over 80 publications in English and Italian, among which:
- L'Arte della Ricchezza. Cesare Beccaria economista. Mondadori, Milano 2014
- Keynes and the New Millennium Crisis, Treves Editore, Roma 2009.
- Adam Smith. Adam Smith visto da Carlo Scognamiglio Pasini, Luiss University Press, Roma 2007 and 20092.
- Economia industriale. Economia dei mercati imperfetti, Luiss University Press, Roma 2006.
- Adam Smith XXI secolo, Luiss University Press, Roma 2005.
- La guerra del Kosovo, Rizzoli, Milano 2002.
- La democrazia in Italia, Rizzoli, Milano 1996.
- Teoria e politica della finanza industriale, il Mulino, Bologna 1987.
- Crisi e risanamento dell'industria italiana, Giuffrè, Milano 1979.
- Mercato dei capitali, borse valori e finanziamento delle imprese industriali, Franco Angeli Edizioni, Milano 1974.
- The Economics of the Stock Market", Giuffrè, Milano 1972.
- Storia dello Stato italiano dall'Unità a oggi, edited by Raffaele Romanelli, Donzelli Editore, 2001, p. 504.
|President of the Italian Senate
|Italian Minister of Defense
Title jointly held
|Member of the Italian Senate
XI, XII, XIII
1992 – 2001
Title jointly held
|Party political offices|
|President of Italian Liberal Party (2004)