Carlos "Caique" Elias
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Carlos "Caique" Elias|
|Born||October 13, 1957|
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
|Residence||Lomita, California, USA|
|Teacher(s)||Hélio Gracie, Rickson Gracie|
|Rank||7th Degree Coral Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
Carlos Henrique "Caique" Elias (born October 13, 1957) is a 7th degree red-and-black belt master of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ). After starting his martial arts training in judo at age 15, he began training in 1975 with the Gracie family at the original Gracie Humaitá academy in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. In 1982, Elias became one of only eight non-Gracies ever to receive his black belt directly from Hélio Gracie.
Elias taught at the Gracie Humaitá academy for many years while competing in tournaments. His most recent tournament victory was in the Brazilian nationals in 1995. In 1996, Elias moved with his family to the United States to teach at the new Gracie Academy in Torrance, California, which was expanding rapidly thanks to the popularity of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
In 2001, Elias formed his own school, the Caique Jiu-Jitsu Academy. The school is now based in Lomita, California. He still actively teaches classes at his academy alongside his sons, black belt Pedro Elias and Thomaz Elias. When not teaching at the academy, Elias travels around the country holding seminars in the Caique Jiu-Jitsu network of schools and hosting BJJ tournaments.
- Cavalcanti, Romero "Jacare"; Van Schuvyer, Mark (October 1, 2006), Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Fighting Stragies (1st ed.), Paladin Press, ISBN 978-1-58160-548-8
- "Instructor Lineage". Houston Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Club. Archived from the original on July 8, 2012. Retrieved March 20, 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Bubba: The perfect training dummy Archived June 27, 2010, at the Wayback Machine Inside Kung-Fu (c. 2006). Retrieved March 21, 2012.
- "Jiu-jitsu news archive Oct 2001-March 2002". Archived from the original on December 19, 2002. Retrieved March 18, 2002. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Fraguas, Jose M. (2006), Grappling masters (1st ed.), Empire Books, ISBN 978-1-933901-24-4
- "Red and Black Belt Caique Elias, plus Aesopian's White Belt Tips Part 1". thefightworkspodcast.com. March 22, 2009. Archived from the original on May 21, 2011. Retrieved March 5, 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)