Carlos Eduardo Stolk
Carlos Eduardo Stolk
Dr. Carlos E. Stolk (1948)
|Died||9 November 1995 (aged 83)|
|Alma mater||Central University of Venezuela|
|Occupation||lawyer, diplomat, businessman|
|Board member of||Empresas Polar|
Carlos Eduardo Stolk Mendoza "H.E. Dr. Carlos E. Stolk" (4 April 1912 – 9 November 1995) was a lawyer, diplomat and business magnate who is well-known for his role as a delegate during World War II, as a founding representative of the United Nations and as chairman to various of its strategic committees. Stolk contributed to the establishment of the State of Israel after voting in favor of Resolution 181 (United Nations Partition Plan for Palestine) (1947) of the UN.
Early life and education
Stolk was Chairman of the Delegation of Venezuela of the United Nations General Assembly and served his country in various capacities between 1942 and 1949. He was part of the Inter-American Juridical Committee and the Economic and Social Council. Stolk served as Chairman of the Third Committee for Social, Humanitarian and Cultural Questions.
He served as Chairman of the Board and President of Venezuela's largest privately held company Empresas Polar between 1952 and 1985. Under Stolk's leadership Fundación Polar (Empresas Polar's company-backed foundation and one of Venezuela's largest charities) was founded and Harina P.A.N., the company's food division's flagship product, was successfully launched as Dr. Stolk's own idea. Carlos Eduardo Stolk Mendoza's first cousin Lorenzo Mendoza Fleury was founder of the business conglomerate, his grandson, Lorenzo Mendoza, is the current third-generation family member managing Empresas Polar as their present CEO.
- List of Venezuelans
- United Nations Partition Plan for Palestine
- Central University of Venezuela - Notable Alumni
- Empresas Polar
- Harina P.A.N.
- The News-Palladium from Benton Harbor, Michigan. Benton Harbor, Michigan, Friday, October 25, 1946, p. 6.
- "General Assembly Checklist" (PDF). library.UN.org. Retrieved 26 November 2017.
- Edduar El Khuffash Álvarez. Las relaciones diplomáticas Venezuela - Israel (1958-1964). Humania del Sur. Año 9, N 16. Enero-Junio, 2014. pp 131-142.
- Easton, Brian. Yearbook Of The United Nations 1948–1949. Department of Public Information, 1949, p. 48.
- "Composition of the Bureaux – ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL COUNCIL – from 1947 to present" (PDF). UN.org. Retrieved 26 November 2017.
- "Two Hundred and Twenty-Sixth Plenary Meeting - 23 September 1949". UN.org. Retrieved 26 November 2017.
- Dr. Carlos E. Stolk of Venezuela talking with other delegates during the United Nations General Assembly (November 1, 1947)