Carlos Humberto Reyes
Carlos Humberto Reyes (often, Carlos H. Reyes) is leader of the trade union STIBYS in Honduras, a coordinator of the Frente Nacional de Resistencia contra el Golpe de Estado en Honduras and was an independent candidate for the 2009 Honduran presidential election before pulling out on November 9. He was injured by security forces during demonstrations on 30 July 2009.
Candidacy in 2009 presidential election
An international human rights mission including, among others, Nora Cortiñas of Mothers of the Plaza de Mayo, reported that Carlos Humberto Reyes was injured on 30 July 2009 when "the army and the special forces of the National Police of Honduras attacked thousands of pacific demonstrators, with fire weapons, wood and rubber projectiles and as well as tear gas, thrown even from helicopters."
On 9 November 2009, following a national meeting of leaders of the National Resistance Front against the coup d'état, Reyes declared the withdrawal of his candidacy, on the grounds of not legitimising the coup d'état and fraudulent elections. The Honduran newspapers El Tiempo and La Tribuna showed Reyes' right hand in a plaster cast.
- "Publicación del voto despeja incógnitas" (in Spanish). Tiempo. 2009. Archived from the original on 2009-08-07. Retrieved 2009-08-07.
- "Defying threats, Zelaya supporters continue protests". La Prensa. 2009-07-31. Archived from the original on 2009-08-02. Retrieved 2009-08-02.
- "International Mission denounces the brutal repression of pacific demonstrations". Agencia Latinoamerica de Información. 2009-07-30. Archived from the original on 2009-08-02. Retrieved 2009-08-02.
- "Carlos H. Reyes anuncia su retiro de los comicios" (in Spanish). El Tiempo (Honduras). 2009-11-08. Archived from the original on 2009-11-11. Retrieved 2009-11-11.
- "Carlos H. Reyes oficializa su renuncia" (in Spanish). La Tribuna (Honduras). 2009-11-09. Archived from the original on 2010-10-30. Retrieved 2009-11-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Carlos Reyes.|
|This article about a Honduran politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article about a trade unionist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|