Carlos Martínez (actor)
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2009)|
Carlos Martínez is a Spanish mime actor. He has participated in the formation of various theatre groups and has taught mime and theatre in public schools, at the University of Zaragoza and at numerous international art seminars. He has published two manuals on mime 'In Silence' and 'Word of Mime'.
Carlos Martínez was born 30 September 1955 in Pravia (Asturias), Spain. At the age of 12, he moves to Barcelona, the vibrant capital of Catalonia, where he discovers his love for acting. He enters the pantomime school 'Taller de Mimo y Teatro Contemporáneo' (1980), the performing arts school 'El Timbal' (1981) and studies under professors such as 'Manuel Carlos Lillo' and 'Jorge Vera' (1982–1987).
Because he is not dependent on any translation, from 1982 onwards Carlos Martínez finds an open stage throughout Europe and in countries as diverse as Brazil, Canada, Chile, Philippines, Russia, South Africa, and the USA. He tours extensively in Europe with the Zahorí theatre company (1996-1998) presenting "The Golden Rule/Learning by Doing—A Celebration of our Differences in an Open Europe". The project involved the use of drama in adult education and was sponsored by the Socrates Fund of the EU.
Over the years, six feature-length programs emerge: humorous solo shows like "Hand Made" and "Books without Words", thematic concept programs like "My Bible" and "Human Rights". and recently his 25th and 30th stage anniversary shows "Time to Celebrate" (2007) and "Mirage" (2012). His collaborative programs include "Silent Night" (performed in ensemble with some of his advanced students), PianOmime (with the German pianist-composer, Johannes Nitsch), and "Still & Stark" (with Andreas Malessa).
Courses and workshops are an important pillar in the work of the actor. From pure mime workshops for beginners to master classes for professional actors. For educators and business people, interactive seminars on convincing without words and communication. He concentrates on body fluency skills to give words and actions deeper meaning in places and situations of conflict. At international conferences he customizes his pieces in "Mime à la Carte", to meet the specific requests of the organizer or the spontaneous expression of the spectators.
Prizes and distinctions
- Performs at the arts festivals Mime Champagne (1993, 1994) and Mim D’Or in France (1996) and Switzerland (1997).
- Television for BBC (UK), TVE, TV3 (ES), SWR, WDR, ZDF (DE), LTV (LV), SRF (CH)
- 2002 Carlos Martínez is named artist of the year by the German foundation Bibel und Kultur.
- 2004 "Hand Made" receives the prize of honour, voted by the audience as the best show of the XXI Almada Theatre Festival.
- 2006 The DVD "Human Rights" is nominated for the Adam Award of the International Sabaoth Filmfestival of Milan (category: feature documentary)
- 2009 "Books without Words" is chosen by the audience as the winner of the 5th edition of the TeatroAgosto festival held in Fundão, Portugal.
- Book: In Silence (1992; published in Spanish, German and French, German title: Stille Kunst)
- Book: Word of Mime (1995, published in German and French, German title: Pantomimenwort)
- Book: Ungeschminkte Weisheiten (2009, published in German, by Aussaat, ISBN 978-3-7615-5729-7)
- Book: From the Dressing Room (2011, published in English, ISBN 978-84-614-8359-4)
- Book: Desde el camerino (2011, published in Spanish, ISBN 978-84-614-8360-0)
- DVD: My Bible (2003)
- DVD: Human Rights (2005)
- DVD: Hand Made (2007)
- DVD: Books without Words (2012)
- Carlos Martínez official site
- Detailed biography on Profile website(CH)
- DVD review by the Deakin University, Australia
- YouTube Channel of Carlos Martínez
- Information about the book Ungeschminkte Weisheiten
- Reading sample from the book From the Dressing Room
- "Microsoft Word - Carlos_Martínez_Bio_07_English.doc" (PDF). Retrieved 15 August 2010.
- "Press release - Jenny Findeis Promotion & More - International theatre show about Human Rights". openPR.com. Retrieved 15 August 2010.
- "Bisherige Preisträger - Stiftung Bibel und Kultur". Bibelundkultur.de. Retrieved 15 August 2010.
- Livenet.ch. "Stiftung Bibel und Kultur zeichnet Carlos Martínez aus". Jesus.ch. Retrieved 15 August 2010.
- "Pantomime: Carlos Martínez". Pantomime-mime.com. Retrieved 15 August 2010.
- "'Livros Sem Palavras' vence prémio - Artes". DN. Retrieved 15 August 2010.
- "ESTE - Estação Teatral". Esteteatro.com. 17 July 2010. Retrieved 15 August 2010.
- Blaney, Retta (28 August 2009). "Life Upon the Sacred Stage: New from Carlos Martinez". Uponthesacredstage.blogspot.com. Retrieved 15 August 2010.
- Blaney, Retta (12 July 2011). "Life Upon the Sacred Stage: From the dressing room". Uponthesacredstage.blogspot.com. Retrieved 12 October 2011.