Moncrief with the Akron Aeros in 2013
|Born: November 3, 1988|
|July 29, 2017, for the San Francisco Giants|
|MLB statistics |
|Runs batted in||5|
Early life and family
Carlos Antwan Moncrief was born in Jackson, Mississippi. His father, Homer, was drafted as a pitcher by the Detroit Tigers in the 1980 amateur draft; Homer advanced to Double-A in 1982 but was released two years later. He later played in an over-30 league.
Moncrief attended Hillcrest Christian High School in Jackson and Chipola Junior College. The Cleveland Indians selected him in the 14th round of the 2008 Major League Baseball draft as a pitcher. After he struggled in 2008 and 2009, Moncrief transitioned into an outfielder. He signed with the Giants organization as a free agent in 2016. He played for the Richmond Flying Squirrels of the Class AA Eastern League.
The Giants promoted Moncrief to the major leagues on July 26, 2017. He made his MLB debut on July 29, 2017, drawing a walk in his first at-bat, against Los Angeles Dodgers reliever Luis Avilán. On July 31, 2017, Moncrief recorded his first career hit against the Oakland Athletics in the fourth inning.
Moncrief and his wife, Brandy, have four sons.
- Meisel, Zack (March 18, 2015). "Like father, like son: Cleveland Indians' Carlos Moncrief hoping to live out his dad's major league dream". The Plain Dealer. Retrieved July 29, 2017.
- "Moncrief swinging for the stars with Flying Squirrels". Richmond Free Press. April 8, 2016. Retrieved July 19, 2017.
- MLBRosterMoves (July 26, 2017). ".@SFGiants purchase OF Carlos Moncrief from Triple-A Sacramento". @MLBRosterMoves. Retrieved August 29, 2017.
- Schulman, Henry (July 29, 2017). "Giants waste another good Blach effort vs. Dodgers". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved July 29, 2017.
- Pavlovic, Alex (July 29, 2017). "With family watching, Moncrief finally makes MLB debut". CSN Bay Area. Retrieved July 30, 2017.
- Pavlovic, Alex. "Instant Analysis: Five takeaway from MLB-worst Giants' loss to A's". CSN Bay Area. Retrieved July 31, 2017.