|Member of the|
U.S. House of Representatives
January 3, 1973 – January 3, 1997
|Preceded by||H. Allen Smith|
|Succeeded by||James E. Rogan|
|Constituency||20th district (1973–1975)|
22nd district (1975–1993)
27th district (1993–1997)
|Member of the California State Assembly|
from the 43rd district
January 7, 1967 – January 3, 1973
|Preceded by||Howard J. Thelin|
|Succeeded by||Michael D. Antonovich|
Carlos John Moorhead
May 6, 1922
Long Beach, California, U.S.
|Died||November 23, 2011 (aged 89)|
La Cañada Flintridge, California, U.S.
|Spouse||Valery Tyler Moorhead|
|Children||Steve, Teri, and Paul Bradford (step children). Preceded in death by two daughters (Teresa and Cathy)|
Carlos John Moorhead (May 5, 1922 – November 23, 2011) was a United States Congressman from California. Born in Long Beach, he attended the public schools of Glendale, graduated from Herbert Hoover High School (Glendale) in 1940 and earned a B.A. from the UCLA in 1943 and a J.D. from the University of Southern California Law School in 1949. He served in the United States Army from 1942 to 1945 and attained the rank of lieutenant colonel.
Moorhead was admitted to the California State Bar in 1949 and commenced practice in Glendale; he was admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court in 1973, and was a member of the California Law Revision Commission. From 1967 to 1973, he was a member of the California State Assembly for the 43rd district, and was elected as a Republican to the 93rd and to the eleven succeeding Congresses, serving from January 3, 1973, to January 3, 1997. He was best known for supporting President Richard Nixon during impeachment hearings, voting ‘no’ on all three articles of impeachment. He was not a candidate for reelection to the 105th Congress. He died after a long battle with Alzheimer's disease in 2011.
- http://www.carlosmoorhead.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Carlos-J-Moorhead-Bio.pdf[permanent dead link]
- "Lessons for Life: The Obituaries of Republicans Who Opposed Nixon's Impeachment". January 29, 2020.
- "Retired Congressman Carlos Moorhead, 89, died Wednesday after a long battle with Alzheimer's disease". Pasadena Star-News. March 9, 2010. Archived from the original on November 30, 2011. Retrieved November 26, 2011.
- United States Congress. "Carlos Moorhead (id: M000926)". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress.
- Carlos Moorhead at Find a Grave
- Carlos John Moorhead entry at The Political Graveyard
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Join California Carlos J. Moorhead
This article incorporates public domain material from the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress.