September 15, 1975|
Mexico City, Mexico
|Died||June 14, 2009
Autódromo Miguel E. Abed
Amozoc, Puebla, Mexico
|Cause of death||Racing accident|
|Achievements||2004 NASCAR Corona Series Champion|
|NASCAR Xfinity Series career|
|1 race run over 1 year|
|Best finish||143rd (2006)|
|First race||2006 Telcel-Motorola 200 (Mexico City)|
Carlos Alberto Pardo Estévez (September 15, 1975 – June 14, 2009) was a Mexican stock car racing driver from Mexico City. He was the first driver to win the NASCAR Mexico Corona Series championship.
Pardo won 10 of his 74 NASCAR Mexico Corona Series starts and had 8 poles. He won the championship in 2004. He was third in standings in 2005 and 2006. Pardo also competed in six races in the NASCAR Camping World Series East in 2004 and 2005 and raced in the NASCAR Nationwide Series at Autódromo Hermanos Rodriguez in 2006.
Pardo was killed in an accident which occurred on the 97th lap of a 100-lap NASCAR Mexico Corona Series race at Autódromo Miguel E. Abed in Amozoc, Puebla, on June 14, 2009. As Pardo led the field with just four laps remaining, Jorge Goeters attempted to overtake Pardo going into turn 3. Pardo attempted to block Goeters, but came into contact with the front of Goeters' car. Pardo's car spun down the track and collided side-on with the edge of a concrete retaining wall at over 200 km/h (120 mph). Even with water drums (Fitch Barrier) in place to soften any collision, the car disintegrated upon impact. Pardo was transported to a nearby hospital by helicopter, where he was pronounced dead. He was declared the winner of the race as he was leading the race at the last completed lap before the accident occurred, beating Goeters by 0.044 seconds. Pardo, driving for Motorcraft team, had started the race from the last row. He is survived by wife Ana, and an infant child.
Motorsports career results
(key) (Bold – Pole position awarded by qualifying time. Italics – Pole position earned by points standings or practice time. * – Most laps led.)
|NASCAR Busch Series results|
|2006||Frank Cicci Racing||34||Chevy||DAY||CAL||MXC
- "Carlos Pardo". ask.com. Archived from the original on 2009-06-19. Retrieved 2009-06-15.
- "Carlos Pardo Posthumously Awarded NASCAR Mexico Series Win". fullthrottle.com. 2009-06-15. Archived from the original on 2009-06-18. Retrieved 2009-06-15.
- "Carlos Pardo at Driver Database". driverdb.com. Retrieved 2009-06-15.
- "Fallece el piloto Carlos Pardo" (in Spanish). Crónica. 2009-06-15. Retrieved 2009-06-15.
- "Driver dies in Nascar Mexico race". Reuters. 2009-06-15. Retrieved 2009-06-15.
- "Sufre Carlos Pardo aparatoso accidente" (in Spanish). eluniversal.com. 2009-06-14. Retrieved 2009-06-15.
- "NASCAR Mexico driver killed in crash". ESPN. 2009-06-15. Retrieved 2009-06-15.
- "Carlos Pardo dies in NASCAR Mexico Series race Sunday". scenedaily.com. 2009-06-15. Retrieved 2009-06-15.
- LaCapria, Kim (2009-06-15). "NASCAR driver Carlos Pardo dies in fiery wreck". inquisitr.com. Retrieved 2009-06-15.
- Carlos Pardo driver statistics at Racing-Reference
|Desafío Corona Champion