Carlos Peña (singer)
|Birth name||Carlos Enrique Peña Aldana|
|Born||January 9, 1988|
|Origin||Guatemala City, Guatemala|
|Occupation(s)||Singer and Songwriter|
|Associated acts||Mayré Martínez
María José Castillo
Son of Hugo Peña and Nilsa Aldana de Peña. When he was young, he participated in tennis tournaments in Guatemala City, and joined the CSD Municipal's lower divisions football team. He was introduced to singing through his older brother Hugo (who lives in the USA), who took him to karaoke clubs in Los Angeles.
He participated in the first season of Latin American Idol (2006), but did not pass the theater round. During the second season of Latin American Idol, he competed in the final round of Latin American Idol against Ricardo Caballero from Mexico, singing 3 songs.
His first solo CD, called “Con una Canción,” was released in December 2007 through Sony BMG  It includes a song with the same title and other songs he performed in Latin American Idol; it was produced by the Mexican producer Fernando Chavez "Fech."
In 2010, he released the album Despierta, with his alternative rock band PENYA on the indie label The Sixth House/Mutual Sense Music. It was produced by his brother, Hugo Peña Jr.
Activism and Philanthropy
Carlos Peña is an activist against the children’s Down Syndrome in Guatemala, and lends his celebrity to support a variety of causes for Guatemala.
Awards and Honors
He won the 2007 Latin American Idol competition.
His first album was certified double platinum in Central America.
In 2007, he received the honorific title of "Ambassador of the Peace” from the Guatemalan government.
He was invited to perform at one of the many Balls celebrating President Barack Obama’s Inauguration. He was originally scheduled to perform at the Urban Ball hosted by the American Music Inaguraual ball Committee, but when that got canceled he performed instead at the 2009 Red White & Blue USO Hero Ball, alongside George Clinton and Peter Paul & Mary. He was the only Central American performer invited to perform at one of the Inaugural Balls.
Latin American Idol Performances/Results
|Episode||Theme||Song choice||Original artist||Order #||Result|
|Audition||Auditioner's Choice||"Sería fácil"||Luis Fonsi||N/A||Advanced|
|Selection Process||Auditioner's Choice||Not Aired||N/A||Advanced|
|Workshop #1||Contestant's Choice||"Tu Reputación"||Ricardo Arjona||8||Advanced|
|Top 12||Contestant's Choice||"Usted Se Me Llevo La Vida"||Alexandre Pires||10||Safe|
|Top 10||Emmanuel Homage||"Quiero Dormir Cansado"||Emmanuel||6||Safe|
|Top 8||Decade They Were Born||"Detalles"||Roberto Carlos||7||Safe|
|Top 7||Ricardo Montaner Homage||"Bésame"||Ricardo Montaner||7||Safe|
|Top 6||Latin Rhythm||"Fruta Fresca"||Carlos Vives||3||Safe|
|Top 5||Boleros and Rancheras||"La Media Vuelta"||José Alfredo Jiménez||4||Safe|
|"Ella"||José Alfredo Jiménez||9|
|Top 4||Love songs||"Contigo en la Distancia"||Luis Miguel||4||Safe|
|"Si Tú No Estas"||Rosana||8|
|Top 3||Hits Night||"Cuándo"||Ricardo Arjona||2||Safe|
|"Corazón Partío"||Alejandro Sanz||5|
|Top 2||Finale||"Con una Canción"||Carlos Peña||1||Winner|
|"Usted Se Me Llevó La Vida"||Alexandre Pires||3|
|"Cada Palabra"||Carlos Peña||5|
- 2010: Despierta (with PENYA)
- 2009: Aquí estoy
- 2007: Con Una Canción
- AP Wire reprint. "Carlos Peña firma contrato con Sony BMG (Carlos Peña signs contract with Sony BMG)". Prensa Libre (in Spanish). Guatemala. Retrieved 15 April 2012.[dead link]
- Staff: Espectaculos (Entertainment Section) (Aug 30, 2010). ""Hoy se estrena el primer sencillo "Despierta", del grupo PENYA (Today the first single "Despierta" comes from the group PENYA)". Prensa Libre (in Spanish). Guatemala. Archived from the original on April 15, 2012. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- Nancy Bailey (October 2011). "A Visit from Carlos Peña: Semillas de Amor". Semillas de Amor Children’s Village. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- Wire from dca.gov.gt (Oct 9, 2007). "Carlos Peña, nombrado como Embajador de la Paz (Carlos Peña named as Ambassador of Peace)". DeGuate (in Spanish). Guatemala. Archived from the original on July 24, 2012. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- Jay Mishkin and Samara Martin Ewing (Jan 20, 2009). "Major Inaugural Balls Cancelled At Last Minute". WUSA9 News Now. Archived from the original on March 3, 2016. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- "Carlos Peña participará en conceirto para celebrar asunción de Barack Obama (Carlos Peña will participate in concert to celebrate Barack Obama's Inauguration)". Prensa Libre (in Spanish). Guatemala. Jan 18, 2009. Retrieved 15 April 2012.[dead link]
|Latin American Idol