Peguero with the Texas Rangers
February 22, 1987 |
Hondo Valle, Dominican Republic
|April 19, 2011, for the Seattle Mariners|
(through May 18, 2015)
|Runs batted in||37|
Carlos Ángel Peguero D'Oleo (born February 22, 1987) is a Dominican professional baseball left fielder who is a free agent. He signed with the Seattle Mariners as an international free agent on January 20, 2005 and has also played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Kansas City Royals and Texas Rangers.
Peguero began his professional career in 2005 with the Dominican Summer League, batting .251 in 59 games. In 2006 he finished tied for first in home runs with seven, tied for second in triples with seven, second in extra base hits with 24 and tied for ninth in average with .313 in the Arizona League. Peguero hit safely in 23 of 34 games. He hit a home run in his second at-bat of the season on June 23 against the Arizona League Angels. He went 3-for-4 with two runs, two home runs and two RBIs on June 30. He hit three home runs in a five game span from July 29 to August 2. He recorded 11 multi-hit games, including three three-hit games and a season-high four hits on August 1. He had four games with season-high three RBIs. On August 8 he was promoted to the Rookie-level Everett AquaSox. At the end of the season he participated in the Mariners Arizona Fall League.
In 2007, Peguero appeared in 79 games with the Single-A Wisconsin Timber Rattlers. He hit .407 during seven-game hitting streak from May 4-9. He went 3-for-5 with four RBIs on May 12. He recorded season-high eight-game hit streak, hitting .364, from June 11-21. He knocked in a career-high seven RBIs, going 3-for-5 with a two-run double, a three-run double and a three-run homer on June 15 against the Cedar Rapids Kernels. Peguero was on the disabled list with a left elbow strain from July 31 through the end of the season. He was named Wisconsin's Most Valuable Player by the Seattle Mariners. He participated in the Mariners' 2007 Arizona Fall League and played in the Dominican Winter League.
Peguero spent the 2008 season with High Desert. He had 17 multi-RBI games, including a season-high four RBIs on April 3. He recorded a season-high four hits on June 17. Peguero was placed on the disabled list on July 17 for the remainder of the season, with a sprained left wrist. He participated in the Mariners' Advance Development League in Peoria, Arizona.
Kansas City Royals
The Kansas City Royals acquired Peguero from the Seattle Mariners on January 29, 2014 for cash considerations. The Royals designated him for assignment on March 25, 2014, after they acquired Patrick Schuster off waivers, in the hopes that Peguero would clear waivers so they could assign him to the Omaha Storm Chasers. He was released by the Royals on December 19, 2014.
Peguero signed a minor league deal with the Texas Rangers on January 13, 2015. He was called up on April 11, and made his Rangers debut the same day. He was designated for assignment on May 20.
Boston Red Sox
On May 27, 2015, the Boston Red Sox acquired Peguero for cash considerations. On June 4, Peguero was designated for assignment, but rejoined the team by signing a minor league contract on June 15.
Peguero is married to Pedro Borbón's youngest daughter, Maria Jacqueline Borbón. On October 19, 2013, his wife was charged with three counts of wire fraud after allegedly making $180,000 in online purchases with the debit card belonging to teammate Félix Hernández's wife. Carlos Peguero told investigators he was unaware of any fraudulent purchases, believing his wife's brother worked for Saks Fifth Avenue, with whom the fraudulent purchases were made. On February 7, 2014, Maria Peguero pleaded guilty to three counts of wire fraud. On June 24, Maria Peguero was sentenced to a year and a day in prison.
- "Mariners trade Peguero, add Baker". Associated Press. ESPN.com. January 29, 2014. Retrieved January 29, 2014.
- Adams, Steve (January 29, 2014). "Royals Acquire Carlos Peguero, Designate Everett Teaford". MLB Trade Rumors. Retrieved January 29, 2014.
- McCullough, Andy (March 25, 2014). "New Royal lefty Patrick Schuster will challenge for the No. 7 reliever spot". KansasCity.com. Retrieved March 25, 2014.
- McCullough, Andy (March 25, 2014). "Royals add reliever Patrick Schuster in hopes of keeping outfielder Carlos Peguero". Kansas City Star. Retrieved June 16, 2015.
- Nowak, Joey (December 19, 2014). "Royals request release waivers for outfielder Peguero". MLB.com. Retrieved April 12, 2015.
- Sullivan, T. R. (January 13, 2015). "Rangers add power bat Peguero on Minors deal". MLB.com. Retrieved April 12, 2015.
- Sessions, Dave (April 11, 2015). "Rangers bring in Peguero, Edwards, Pimentel; send 3 to DL". MLB.com. Retrieved April 12, 2015.
- Abraham, Peter (May 28, 2015). "Red Sox get Carlos Peguero from Rangers for cash". Boston Globe. Retrieved June 16, 2015.
- Bradley, Pat (May 27, 2015). "Red Sox Acquire Outfielder Carlos Peguero From Texas Rangers For Cash". New England Sports Network. Retrieved June 16, 2015.
- Smith, Christopher (June 15, 2015). "Outfielder Carlos Peguero signs minor league contract with Boston Red Sox". The Republican. Retrieved June 16, 2015.
- Carter, Mike (October 18, 2013). "Wife of Felix Hernandez a victim of big theft by another M’s wife?". Seattle Times. Retrieved June 25, 2014.
- "Felix Hernandez's wife victim of fraud". ESPN.com. Associated Press. October 19, 2013. Retrieved June 25, 2014.
- "Ex-Mariner’s wife gets prison for stealing from Felix Hernandez’s wife". Seattle Times. June 23, 2014. Retrieved June 25, 2014.
- "Wife of former Mariners player sentenced for fraud". ESPN.com. Associated Press. June 24, 2014. Retrieved June 25, 2014.