Saldanha at the 2011
Annecy International Animated Film Festival
January 24, 1965 |
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
|Occupation||Film director, film producer, animator, voice actor|
|Notable work||Ice Age: The Meltdown, Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs, Rio, Rio 2|
Carlos Saldanha (Portuguese pronunciation: [ˈkaʁluz sawˈdɐɲa]; born January 24, 1965) is a Brazilian director of animated films who works with Blue Sky Studios. He was the director of Ice Age: The Meltdown (2006), Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (2009), Rio (2011), Rio 2 (2014), and the co-director of Ice Age (2002) and Robots (2005). In 2003, Saldanha was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film for Gone Nutty.
Saldanha was born in Brazil, growing up in Marechal Hermes, Rio de Janeiro. Though he loved cartoons and drawing from an early age, by the time he was an adult, he initially considered a career in computer science, because he did not think a career in art was a viable option. This changed when he became aware of how computer-generated imaging was revolutionizing animation, and discovered the continuing education program at the School of Visual Arts in Manhattan. He entered that program to major in computer animation, saying, "I knew from the first day in class that this was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life". One of his instructors, recognizing his talent, convinced him to enroll in the school's MFA program. Though Saldanha and his wife, Isabella Scarpa, thought this was a risk, they opted to stay in Manhattan so that Saldanha could do so. While at SVA, he completed two prizewinning film shorts that were featured in film festivals around the world. It was also at SVA that Saldanha met MFA instructor and future film directing partner Chris Wedge, who invited Saldanha to join Wedge's company Blue Sky Studios. Saldanha graduated from SVA with a Master's degree in Computer Art in 1993.
During its fledgling years, Blue Sky Studios provided special effects and produced animated TV commercials. In 2002, Saldanha and Wedge co-directed the animated feature film Ice Age. The movie was a success, with an opening weekend gross of $46.3 million, the best March opening ever. After co-directing the 2005 film Robots, he broke his previous March opening record with the 2006 Ice Age sequel, Ice Age 2: The Meltdown, which Saldanha directed by himself. He would later direct the 2009 sequel, Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs. Desiring a change of location after directing three films set in icy locales, Saldanha's next project was the 2011 film Rio, which is set in Saldanha's hometown of Rio de Janeiro. Saldanha, who felt that Rio had never been fully portrayed on film, felt a responsibility to travel to the city with the other animators, so that they could accurately capture Rio's unique environment and habitats. The movie grossed a reported $484 million worldwide.
In October 2012, Saldanha signed a five-year exclusive deal with 20th Century Fox to develop and produce animated and live-action projects. For this purpose, he formed in June 2013 a Fox-based production company, named BottleCap Productions. In 2014, Rio 2 was released, which he directed and co-wrote. For 2017, he is directing an animated feature film adaptation of The Story of Ferdinand. Saldanha is also directing for Fox a live-action adaptation of Royden Lepp's graphic novel Rust: Visitor in the Field, which he plans to make before Ferdinand. He is also developing an animated feature film based on a book Alienology from the Ologies fantasy book series.
Saldanha and his wife, mathematician Isabella Scarpa, initially lived in a studio apartment in Manhattan's Greenwich Village, but after their second daughter was born, they moved to Hoboken, New Jersey, where they had friends. They continue to live there with their children, Manoela, Sofia, Julia and Rafael. Saldanha, Isabella and their oldest daughter compete in the HOHA (Hoboken Harriers Running Club), a 5k race. Manoelo and Sofia voiced a "porcupine-like critter" called "Molehog" in the film Ice Age: The Meltdown, directed by their father. In Rio, Sofia voiced Linda Gunderson as a child.
|1997||A Simple Wish||Yes||Creative supervisor: Blue Sky Studios|
|1999||Fight Club||Yes||Creative supervisor: Blue Sky Studios|
|Gone Nutty||Yes||Short film|
|2006||Ice Age: The Meltdown||Yes||Yes||Dodo|
|No Time for Nuts||Yes||Executive producer
|2008||Surviving Sid||Yes||Executive producer
|2009||Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs||Yes||Yes||Dinosaur Babies
|2011||Rio||Yes||Yes||Second Waiter||Also writer: story|
|Scrat's Continental Crack-up: Part 2||Yes||Executive producer
|2012||Ice Age: Continental Drift||Yes||Executive producer|
|2014||Rio 2||Yes||Yes||Amazon Quail||Also writer: story|
|Rio, I Love You||Yes||Segment "Pas de Deux"|
|2016||Ice Age: Collision Course||Yes||Executive producer|
|2006||Ice Age 2: The Meltdown||Yes|
|Ice Age: The Meltdown (2006)||57%||58%||6.9|
|Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (2009)||45%||50%||7.0|
|Rio 2 (2014)||48%||49%||6.4|
Awards and nominations
|2003||Annie Award||Outstanding Directing in an Animated Feature Production
Shared with Chris Wedge
|DVD Exclusive Award||Best Audio Commentary, New Release
Shared with Chris Wedge
|Best New, Enhanced or Reconstructed Movie Scenes
Shared with John C. Donkin
|2004||Academy Award||Best Animated Short Film||Gone Nutty||Nominated|
|Annecy International Animated Film Festival||The Annecy Cristal||Nominated|
|2007||Annie Award||Best Directing in an Animated Feature Production||Ice Age: The Meltdown||Nominated|
|2012||Directing in a Feature Production||Rio||Nominated|
|Cinema Brazil Grand Prize||Best Foreign-Language Film (Melhor Filme Estrangeiro)||Nominated|
|Best Foreign-Language Film (Melhor Filme Estrangeiro) - Audience Award||Won|
|Italian Online Movie Award||Best Animated Feature Film (Miglior film d'animazione)||Nominated|
|St. Louis Gateway Film Critics Association||Best Animated Feature Film||Nominated|
|2014||BAFTA Children's Awards||BAFTA Kids Vote - Feature Film
Shared with Bruce Anderson, John C. Donkin, Don Rhymer, Carlos Kotkin, Jenny Bicks & Yoni Brenner
|CinemaCon Award||International Filmmaker of the Year||Won|
|2015||Visual Effects Society Award||Outstanding Animation in an Animated Feature Motion Picture
Shared with Bruce Anderson, John C. Donkin and Kirk Garfield
- "RIO". KidsNews,inc. Retrieved October 28, 2013.
The mastermind behind this story, Carlos Saldanha, was born January 24, 1965, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Cavna, Michael (July 1, 2009). "The Interview: 'Ice Age' Director Carlos Saldanha". Washington Post. Retrieved October 28, 2013.
The engaging, Braziian-born Saldanha, 44, shares his thoughts on creativity, family and the reason why he knew he needed the voice of Queen Latifah.
- "What's in Store". Visual Arts Journal. Fall 2011. School of Visual Arts. Page 18
- Baldassari, Arlene (December 30, 2012). "The Road from Rio". Hudson Reporter. Retrieved October 28, 2013.
- Hulett, Steve (January 9, 2012). "The Carlos Saldanha Interview". TAG Blog. Retrieved February 9, 2012.
- Kroll, Justin; Abrams, Rachel (October 25, 2012). "'Rio' helmer Carlos Saldanha inks Fox pact". Variety. Retrieved October 26, 2012.
- Fleming, Mike (June 6, 2013). "'Rio' Helmer Carlos Saldanha Sets And Staffs Up BottleCap Productions At Fox". Deadline. Retrieved June 7, 2013.
- Brodesser-Akner, Claude (February 18, 2011). "Fox, Ice Age Director Bullish on The Story of Ferdinand". New York. Retrieved February 19, 2011.
- Chitwood, Adam (May 16, 2013). "DreamWorks Animation Moves B.O.O. Release Up to June 5, 2015 and TROLLS to November 4, 2016; Fox Dates ANUBIS and FERDINAND". Collider.com. Retrieved May 16, 2013.
- Sneider, Jeff (September 9, 2013). "'Rio' Director Carlos Saldanha in Talks to Replace Joe Cornish on Fox's 'Rust' (Exclusive)". The Wrap. Retrieved September 10, 2013.
- Desowitz, Bill (March 14, 2014). "Immersed in Movies: Carlos Saldanha Talks 'Rio 2'". Animation Scoop. Retrieved March 14, 2014.
- Lowe, R. Kinsey (April 3, 2006). "`Ice Age': It came, thawed, conquered". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved May 1, 2015.
- "Sergio Mendes says 'Rio' sequel likely". Yahoo!. January 25, 2012. Retrieved January 26, 2012.
- "Ice Age 2: The Meltdown (2006) - Rotten Tomatoes". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved December 15, 2015.
- "Ice Age: The Meltdown Reviews - Metacritic". Metacritic. Retrieved December 15, 2015.
- "Ice Age: The Meltdown (2006) - IMDb". Uk.imdb.com. Retrieved December 15, 2015.
- "Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (2009) - Rotten Tomatoes". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved December 15, 2015.
- "Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs Reviews - Metacritic". Metacritic. Retrieved December 15, 2015.
- "Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (2009) - IMDb". Uk.imdb.com. Retrieved December 15, 2015.
- "Rio (2011) - Rotten Tomatoes". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved December 15, 2015.
- "Rio Reviews - Metacritic". Metacritic. Retrieved December 15, 2015.
- "Rio (2011) - IMDb". Uk.imdb.com. Retrieved December 15, 2015.
- "Rio 2 (2014) - Rotten Tomatoes". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved December 15, 2015.
- "Rio 2 Reviews - Metacritic". Metacritic. Retrieved December 15, 2015.
- "Rio 2 (2014) - IMDb". Uk.imdb.com. Retrieved December 15, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Carlos Saldanha.|