This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Carlos Thompson and Lana Turner in Flame and the Flesh (1954)
|Born||Juan Carlos Mundin Schaffter
7 June 1923
Santa Fe, Argentina
|Died||10 October 1990
Buenos Aires, Argentina
|Years active||1950s and 60s|
(m. 1957; her death 1986)
Of German Swiss descent, he played leading roles on stage and in films in Argentina. He went to Hollywood in the 1950s and was typically cast as a European womanizer. His Hollywood films include Flame and the Flesh (1954) with Lana Turner and Pier Angeli, Valley of the Kings (1954), with Robert Taylor and Eleanor Parker, Magic Fire (1955) in which he played Franz Liszt, opposite Yvonne De Carlo, Rita Gam, and Valentina Cortese.
He moved to Europe and appeared in a large number of German films. He was chiefly known to English speakers for his appearance as Carlos Varela in the 1963 ITC Entertainment series The Sentimental Agent. In the late 1960s, Thompson left acting to become a writer and TV producer.
His first success on the European book market was The assassination of Winston Churchill (1969), a refutation of allegations by David Irving (Accident. The Death of General Sikorski, 1967) and the German playwright Rolf Hochhuth (Soldiers, premiered in the UK in 1968, London) that war time premier Winston Churchill had a part in the death of Polish General Władysław Sikorski, who perished in an air plane crash at Gibraltar on July 4, 1943, allegedly due to sabotage.
Although references to him recorded in the diaries of Noël Coward suggest that he was bisexual, Thompson married German-born actress Lilli Palmer shortly after her divorce from Rex Harrison in 1957. They remained married until her death in 1986.
Four years after his wife's death, Thompson committed suicide in Buenos Aires by a gunshot to his head.
- The Trap (La trampa) (1949)
- An Almost Merry Widow (Una viuda casi alegre) (1950)
- The Unwanted (1951)
- La pasión desnuda (1953)
- Flame and the Flesh (1954)
- Valley of the Kings (1954)
- Magic Fire (1955)
- Between Time and Eternity (1956)
- Goodbye, Franziska (Auf Wiedersehen, Franziska!) (1957)
- The Spessart Inn (Das Wirtshaus im Spessart) (1958)
- The Last Rebel (El último rebelde) (1958)
- Raw Wind in Eden (1958)
- I Was All His (1958)
- Stefanie (1958)
- Eva (Die Halbzarte) (1958)
- Mistress of the World (1960)
- The Last of Mrs. Cheyney (1961)
- Eheinstitut Aurora (1961)
- The Gypsy Baron (1962)
- Finden Sie, daß Constanze sich richtig verhält? (1962)
- A Matter of Resistance (La Vie de château) (1965)
|This article about an Argentine film actor or actress is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|