Carlos Zurita, Duke of Soria
|Duke of Soria and Hernani|
The Duchess and Duke of Soria
|Born||9 October 1943|
Antequera, Málaga, Spain
|Issue||Don Alfonso Zurita y de Borbón|
Doña María Zurita y de Borbón
|Father||Carlos Zurita y González-Vidalte|
|Mother||María del Carmen Delgado y Fernández de Santaella|
|Spanish royal family|
The Duke of Soria is a retired medical doctor and was, as his father, a specialist in the respiratory and circulatory system. He studied at the medical faculty of the University of Seville, where he obtained a licentiate in medicine with accompanying award "Premio Extraordinario de Licenciatura" for extraordinary merit in 1967. He received his doctorate with a scholarship at the Spanish College in Bologna, Italy. In 1971, the duke gained the position of teacher service manager of the Spanish National College of the Thorax Illness.
He married Infanta Margarita, on 12 October 1972 in Estoril at St. Anthony's Church. They have two children:
- Don Alfonso Juan Carlos Zurita y de Borbón (b. Madrid, 9 August 1973).
- Doña María Sofía Emilia Carmen Zurita y de Borbón (b. Madrid, 16 September 1975). She has a son, Carlos, born on 28 April 2018 in Madrid.
In 1989, the Duke and the Duchess of Soria created the Fundación Cultural Duques de Soria (The Duke and Duchess of Soria Cultural Foundation), its objective is to stimulate the Spanish language and culture. The Foundation cooperates with universities and Spanish cultural institutions to contribute the cultural and scientific development in Spain.
The Duke of Soria is President of the Spanish Federation of the Museums Friends Associations and President of the Friends of Prado Museum Foundation. He also is a member of the Spanish Royal Academy of Medicine.
Titles, styles, honours and arms
- 9 October 1943 – 1967: Mr. Carlos Zurita y Delgado
- 1967 – 12 October 1972: Dr. Carlos Zurita y Delgado
- 12 October 1972 – 27 May 1981: His Excellency Don Carlos Zurita y Delgado
- 27 May – 23 June 1981: His Excellency The Duke of Hernani
- 23 June 1981 – present: His Excellency The Duke of Soria and Hernani
The Duke's style and title in full: His Excellency Don Carlos Emilio Juan Zurita y Delgado de Borbón, Duke of Soria, Duke of Hernani, Grandee of Spain.
- Obituary of his father
- (in Spanish) www.geneall.net (accessed 2 November 2008)
- Los títulos de la familia del Rey - website of the Spanish newspaper El Mundo
- (in Spanish) Anales de la Real Academia Nacional de Medicina Archived January 18, 2006, at the Wayback Machine., Duke of Soria’s laudatio in his appointment as member of the Spanish Royal Academy of Medicine by Hipólito Durán Sacristán, 235-242. (accessed 2 November 2008)
- (in Spanish) The Duke and Duchess of Soria Cultural Foundation website. (accessed 2 November 2008)
- (in Spanish) Royal Decree 484/2003 The Duke of Soria member of the Spanish Royal Order of Alfonso X. BOE, Spanish Official Journal. (accessed 2 November 2008)