Front page of Carlsbad Current-Argus on March 15, 2008
|Publisher||Rynni M. Henderson|
|Headquarters||620 S. Main St.
Carlsbad, NM 88220
The Carlsbad Current-Argus is a newspaper in Carlsbad, New Mexico, United States. It has been published since 1889. The newspaper, printed in a broadsheet format, is published daily except Mondays.
The Current-Argus is the result of a merger of the now-defunct Carlsbad Current and Carlsbad Argus. It was described in 1953 as conservative. The paper was owned by MediaNews and part of the Digital First Media company. The Current-Argus was a part of the Texas-New Mexico Newspapers Partnership, a 2003 joint venture between Gannett and MediaNews Group. In 2015, Gannett acquired full ownership of the Texas-New Mexico Newspapers Partnership.
The newspaper publishes two sections:
- A: local news, the Little-Argus (listing of community events), regional and state news, opinions and letters to the editor, wire service articles, and weather.
- B: local sports, national sports, classified ads, legal notices, comics, and puzzles.
Additionally, special sections appear throughout the week:
- Sunday: "Sunday Living" features stories spotlighting a resident's hobby, history, or the like.
- Saturday: "Vamonos" is a regional entertainment section that is also inserted into the Ruidoso News and Alamogordo Daily News.
A subscription-based web site contains all the main articles that are published in the print edition. When local breaking news occurs, a brief story about the event is usually posted. Historical and additional photos from stories are present in an online gallery. Local blogs written by residents have also been hosted, with topics ranging from caving to politics to books. The Current-Argus also produces online web video features highlighting special events and sports around town.
- Jeff Sumner, Gale Directory of Publications and Broadcast Media: New Jersey - Wyoming- Canada, Farmington Hills, Michigan: Gale Group, 2001, p. 1210 
- Pearce S. Grove, Becky J. Barnett, Sandra J. Hansen, New Mexico newspapers: a comprehensive guide to bibliographical entries and locations, Albuquerque, New Mexico: University of New Mexico Press, 1975, p. 177 
- Milton Moskowitz, The Executive's Almanac: A Diverse Portfolio of Eclectic Business Trivia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: Quirk Books, 2006 p. 139 
- Lawrence Merchant, The San Simon, Merchant, 1975, p. 59
- Frontier, 1953, Volume 5, p. 15
- "Gannett, MediaNews Group expand and reorganize Texas-New Mexico Partnership" (Press release). Gannett Co., Inc. 2003-12-01. Archived from the original on 2007-04-02. Retrieved 2008-07-25.
- Gannett acquires complete ownership of Texas-New Mexico Newspaper Partnership from Digital First Media
- Carlsbad Current-Argus Photo Albums