Carlsbad High School (California)
|Carlsbad High School|
3557 Lancer Way
|School district||Carlsbad Unified School District|
|Principal||Dr. Josh Porter|
|Number of students||2,459 (2015-16)|
Purple, Black, White, and Gold
|Fight song||"Minnesota Rouser"|
|Athletics||CIF San Diego Section, Avocado West League|
|Rivals||Sage Creek High School|
Carlsbad High School is a public High School in Carlsbad, California. First opened in 1957, the high school underwent major redevelopment from 2009 to 2012. Located in Carlsbad, San Diego, California, a suburb of San Diego, Carlsbad High School was built in 1957. The school is renowned for its high level of academic success and graduate levels, with top students from each year attending many of the most prestigious universities in the United States. The SAT average for 2009 seniors was 1022, or 541/section. (Note, only 57% of the seniors took the SAT on record). The mean ACT score was a 24, with a 16% participation rate among seniors. The API school index, for 2010 was 812. Additionally, 570 students took a total of 1101 Advanced Placement,or AP exams, with a 78% passing rate (scores of 3,4, and 5).
On December 8, 2001, the band No Doubt played a surprise concert at the high school as the first episode of the MTV show "Jammed." Students were not told of the concert until they were dismissed from class for the day. MTV staff worked with school administrators and staff to facilitate the concert between the football field and gymnasium.
On February 19, 2016, the band Echosmith played a concert for the school as part of the State Farm #Drive2N2 campaign. The school won the concert as a result of a safe driving video submitted by the broadcasting department to the contest. The broadcasting department received a $100,000 grant for winning.
Carlsbad High School is also well known for extracurricular and athletic excellence, including: the speech and debate team, the technical theater program, Lancer Dancers, CHSTV, Chamber Singers, the Carlsbad Marching Lancers, Wind Symphony, cross-country team, soccer team, water polo team, swim team, and surf team (which has been crowned state champions more times than all other Carlsbad High sports teams).
Carlsbad High School's campus reflects the many years the school has been established. Originally built more than fifty years ago, the campus has undergone renovation and construction on a new campus. Renovation for the whole campus began in 2008 with the construction of a new football field and stadium. The new 'Swede Krcmar Field' opened March 2010. Newly built classrooms were occupied by classes beginning January 9, 2012. The world famous skate landmark, the Carlsbad Gap, was destroyed on February 23, 2012. Renovation was completed in May 2012 with the construction of a new parking lot.
Achievements, awards, distinctions
This section needs additional citations for verification. (August 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- 2016 - Men's Volleyball San Diego Section Open Division Crown. 
- 2012 - Men's Cross Country Team won two consecutive Cif Championships, 3rd in California State Championship 2012, and 18th at Nike Cross Nationals 2012. Named San Diego's best cross country team in history.
- 2010 - The Purple Shield Yearbook received first place in the North County Del Mar Fair Competition. Editors: Taylor Deisinger, Samantha Garcia, Rita Heredia and Nicole Numerich
- 2010 - The Lancer Express received first place in San Diego County Fair Competition. Editors: Ben Kelly, Alex Lancial, Emma Marshall, Christina Sintek. "Month of Tolerance" Feature received Best in Class Award at San Diego County Fair Competition.
- Home to the nationally acclaimed and award-winning CHSTV. Official websites for CHSTV are http://www.chstv.com and http://www.chstvfilms.org
- 2002, 2005 and 2006 CIF San Diego Section Football Division I Championship.
- CIF-record eight consecutive Division 1 Men's Water Polo Championships (2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2013, and 2014)
- Men's Swimming & Diving CIF Champions: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014
- National Champion Lancer Dancers . UDA National Titles include:
- 2001 - Large Varsity Jazz
- 2002 - Large Varsity Jazz, ESPN TV Challenge
- 2003 - Large Varsity Jazz
- 2004 - Small Varsity Hip Hop
- 2006 - Small Varsity Hip Hop AND Small Varsity Jazz
- 2007 - Small Varsity Jazz
- 2011 - Small Varsity Hip Hop
- 2006- Show Choir (Sound Express) placed first at Hart High School Competition.
- 2012 - Show Choir (Encore) placed first at SoCal Show Choir Invitational. 
- 2013 - Show Choir (Encore) placed first at SoCal Show Choir Invitational.
- 2014 - Show Choir (Encore) placed first at SoCal Show Choir Invitational. 
- 2016 - Show Choir (Sound Express) placed fourth in the Advanced Mixed division at the Southern California Show Choir Invitational. 
- Home to the famous Carlsbad Gap, a street skateboarding attraction popularized in skate videos and magazines. Carlsbad High School is featured in Tony Hawk 's Pro Skater 2 video game, where the gap is a skateboard obstacle.
- Carlsbad High School Television
- 2006, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012 winner of the prestigious STN Award of Excellence from the Student Television Network (STN)
- CHSTV is recognized across the country as a model for scholastic broadcast journalism.
- Was reportedly the winner of the STN's "Best Daily Newscast in the Nation" from 2008 to 2015.[clarification needed]
- Carlsbad High School Art Department
- 2014 – Top 5 Finalist in the national Vans Custom Culture art competition, earning $4,000 for the art department.
- 2015 – Grand Prize winner, "Local Attitude" design winner, and "Truth Campaign Skateboard Deck" winner in the Vans Custom Culture art competition, totaling $75,000 in winnings for the school's art department amongst the three prizes.
- As Marching Lancers
- 2003-2006 - Top-ranked band in San Diego County
- 2005 - SCSBOA Class 5A Field Show Champions
- 2009 - SCSBOA Class 3A Field Show Champions
- 2010 - SCSBOA Class 3A Field Show Champions
- As Wind Symphony
- 2004 - First high school band to perform at Carnegie Hall
- 2006 - 1st place in festival held at the Kennedy Center in Washington DC
- 2010 - Unanimous Superior Ranking at Heritage Festival of Gold, held in Orchestra Hall, Chicago
- The Wind Symphony achieved a Unanimous Superior ranking (the highest ranking possible) at all the competitions it attended between 1999 and 2013.
- The Wind Symphony has been invited to perform at the Sydney Opera House in Sydney, Australia, every year since 2004, but has declined each year, lacking funds for such a trip.
- 2009 - 7th place at WGI World Percussion Championships in Dayton, Ohio
- 2015 - 2nd place A-Class at SCPA Championship Finals in San Bernardino, California
- 2018 - 3rd place Scholastic-A at WGI West Power Regional Finals in San Bernardino, California.
- Color Guard
- 2011 - WGASC Champions
- As Marching Lancers
- Speech and Debate
- National Qualifiers 2008-2013
- Tournament of Champions qualifiers in multiple debates
- League Champions 4 years running
- Currently ranked 5th in the State
- Currently ranked in the top 1% nationally
- Carlsbad High School Chamber Orchestra
- 2011 March 12 - SCSBOA Superior Unanimous @ El Camino High School 
Fall 2011- Technical Theater won 1st place for their Set and Lighting design at DTASC.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Brady Anderson, Baseball; Baltimore Orioles 
- Joey Beltran, professional Mixed Martial Artist, formerly with the UFC,
- Colin Branch, Football; Stanford University & Carolina Panthers
- Chad Butler, Musician, drummer for Switchfoot
- Sean Canfield, Football; Oregon State & New Orleans Saints
- Brandon Chillar, Football; UCLA & Green Bay Packers
- Jonathan Compas, Football; UC Davis & Tampa Bay Buccaneers; New England Patriots
- Troy Glaus, Major League Baseball player, won World Series with the Anaheim Angels(now the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim) in 2002
- Tony Hawk, Professional skateboarder, attended freshman and sophomore years
- Ted Johnson, Football; University of Colorado & New England Patriots
- Scott Karl, Baseball; Milwaukee Brewers, Colorado Rockies
- Taylor Knox, Professional Surfer
- Glen Kozlowski, Football; Chicago Bears
- Bryan Lee-Lauduski, American football player
- Sal Masekela, Actor/commentator
- Autumn Reeser, Actress
- Vic So'oto, Football; BYU & Green Bay Packers
- Staciana Stitts, Olympic gold medal swimmer
- Robert Stromberg, Academy Award winning film director and art director
- Brett Swain, NFL player
- Shaun White, Olympic gold medal snowboarder
- Lauren Fendrick, Olympic beach volleyball player
- "Carlsbad High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved October 26, 2018.
- "Office of Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. - Home". Gov.ca.gov. 2012-03-14. Retrieved 2012-03-19.
- Carroll, David (March 17, 2016). "Cleveland High School broadcast team wins national award". WRCB-TV. Chattanooga. Retrieved November 5, 2017.
- "Carlsbad High School: News Items for the Home Page". Carlsbadhs.schoolloop.com. 2011-03-12. Retrieved 2012-03-19.
- "Brady Anderson Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved December 3, 2012.
- "Joey Beltran UFC Bio". Retrieved 2014-01-01.
- "Troy Glaus Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved December 3, 2012.
- Carlsbad High School
- CUSD Website
- Lancer Football
- Lancer Water Polo
- Lancer Track
- Lancer Surf Team
- Lancer Baseball
- Lancer Dancers
- Cheer Leading
- Lancer Lady's Soccer
- Lancer LaCrosse
- Marching Lancers and Wind Symphony
- CHS Television
- Cultural Arts Center
- CHS ALUMNI