Carlson Wagonlit Travel
|Privately held company|
|Kurt Ekert (CEO)|
|Products||Business travel, meetings and events|
|Revenue||$23 billion USD|
Number of employees
Tracing its origins back to the 1870s' invention of rail sleeping cars and the creation of Compagnie International des Wagons-Lits by Belgian Georges Nagelmackers, CWT is a privately held travel management company, wholly owned by Carlson Companies.
Headquartered in Paris, the company reported $23 billion in total transaction values in 2016 and recorded almost 59 million transactions. The company has over 18,000 employees across nearly 150 countries.
CWT is a global advocate of responsible business practices and is a signatory of the United Nations Global Compact.
The group has existed in its present form since 1994, the result of a 50%/50% merger from two large travel agency ventures. The Carlson side was originally from the Ask Mr. Foster Travel Agency chain, which had already been rebranded to Carlson Travel Network. The Wagonlit part came from the travel shop business of Compagnie Internationale des Wagons-Lits.
On June 22, 2014, the company announced that Carlson, a privately held corporation in the hotel, marketing, restaurant, and travel industries which owned a 55% stake in the company, would purchase the remaining 45%, held by JPMorgan Chase.
- "CWT at a Glance". Carlson Wagonlit Travel. Archived from the original on 2008-09-30. Retrieved 2008-09-05.
- "Carlson Wagonlit Travel breaks US$2bn new business sales barrier | Travel Daily UK". Travel Daily UK. Retrieved 2017-03-16.
- "Carlson Companies agreed to purchase from a JPMorgan Chase division the 45 percent stake in Carlson Wagonlit Travel that it did not already own.: Business Travel News". www.businesstravelnews.com. Retrieved 2017-03-16.
- "History of Carlson Wagonlit Travel – FundingUniverse". www.fundinguniverse.com. Retrieved 2017-03-16.
- Accor. "Accor Divests Stake in Carlson Wagonlit Travel". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2017-03-16.
- , Minneapolis Star Tribune, accessed June 23, 2014.