Carmel Adventist College
|Carmel Adventist College|
Greatness through service
|Type||Private, day and boarding|
|Denomination||Seventh-day Adventist Church|
|Deputy Principal||John Minett|
|Director of Studies||Darren Martin|
|Colour(s)||Blue, White & Red|
|Part of a series on|
Seventh-day Adventist portal
Carmel Adventist College is a Seventh-day Adventist secondary school in Carmel, a suburb of Perth, Western Australia. It is a co-educational, day and boarding school for students from Years 7 to 12. Although it is run by the Seventh-day Adventist Church it is open to any student who wishes to study and learn within a Christian environment. It is part of the Seventh-day Adventist Church's worldwide educational system.
This school began as the Darling Range School in 1907. It was originally established to provide local education facilities for secondary students of Seventh-day Adventist families who would otherwise have had to go across the country to Avondale School in Cooranbong, a town about 120 kilometres (75 mi) north of Sydney, to receive their education.
Charles E Ashcroft, an early Seventh-day Adventist, offered to donate land for the proposed boarding school. The land was situated 27 km east of Perth in the Heidelberg Valley (now Bickley Valley) in the Darling Range. Ashcroft's offer was accepted and work began immediately. Church members demonstrated their interest in the venture by contributing both time and money. The school opened 13 January 1907 with H.R. Martin as Principal, and only two students. By the end of the first week the number had grown to five and by the close of the year to 14.
Since its modest beginning in 1907, the school has undergone many changes which culminated in the rebuilding of the main administrative-classroom block in 1977. The College estate was gradually enlarged until it totalled 55 hectares, of which 9 hectares are in orchard, mainly stone fruits and citrus.
The school celebrated its centenary in 2007 and has continued to undergo renovations and changes to improve the appearance and ability to provide an excellent education to its students. This includes the removal of the majority of the property's orchards, allowing for a better view of the valley, the remodeling of the library with the addition of brand new computers and facilities, as well as the changes made to the school's academic and behavioural policies to allow for a difference in learning and discipline.
The College offers students high standard learning facilities such as:
- a newly remodelled and refurbished Library, equipped with 30 Apple iMacs (2012 and 2014 models),
- dedicated junior classrooms for Year 7 and Year 8 (2010),
- newly refurbished classrooms (2010),
- a refurbished Food Technology Department (2009),
- a remodeled Design & Technology Department (2001), incorporating large, fully equipped Automotive, Small Machines, Metalwork and Woodwork rooms as well as Graphics Technology, Ceramics, Photography and Art rooms,
- a computer room, equipped with 30 of the latest Apple iMacs (2014 models),
- a full-court Gymnasium, complete with a working fitness area,
- a fully equipped Science Department,
- a Horticulture Department with orchards and market gardens,
- outdoor tennis and basketball courts,
- top and middle ovals.
All students take religion classes each year that they are enrolled. These classes cover topics in biblical history and Christian and denominational doctrines. Instructors in other disciplines also begin each class period with prayer or a short devotional thought, many which encourage student input. Weekly, the entire student body gathers together for an hour-long chapel service. Outside the classrooms there is year-round spiritually oriented programming that relies on student involvement.
Carmel Adventist College offer the following sports:
- Mountain Biking
- List of Seventh-day Adventist secondary and elementary schools
- Seventh-day Adventist education
- Seventh-day Adventist Church
- Seventh-day Adventist theology
- History of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
- List of schools in Perth, Western Australia
- List of Seventh-day Adventist secondary schools
- Carmel Adventist College. ACARA. Retrieved 18 July 2013