Carmel Market bombing
|Carmel Market bombing|
|Part of the Second Intifada militancy campaign|
|Location||Carmel Market, Tel Aviv, Israel|
|Date||November 1, 2004|
|Deaths||3 Israeli civilians (+ 1 bomber)|
|30+ Israeli civilians|
|Perpetrators||Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine claimed responsibility|
The Carmel Market bombing was a suicide bombing which occurred on November 1, 2004 at the Carmel Market located at the heart of Tel Aviv's business district. Three people were killed in the attack and over 30 people were injured.
On Monday, November 1, 2004, shortly after 11:00 am, a Palestinian suicide bomber wearing an explosive belt hidden underneath his clothes detonated the explosive device at the Carmel Market located at the heart of Tel Aviv's business district.
The blast killed three civilians and injured over 30 people.
The Palestinian Marxist–Leninist militant group Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine claimed responsibility for the attack, and stated that the attack was carried out by a 16-year-old Palestinian named Amar Alfar who originated from the Palestinian city of Nablus in the West Bank.
- Involved parties
Israel: Israeli Foreign Ministry spokesman urged the Palestinian Authority to crack down on armed militants.
- Palestinian National Authority - Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat condemned the attack and called on both Palestinians and Israelis to avoid killing civilians.
- Palestinian Prime Minister Ahmed Qurei called for an end to the Palestinian suicide bombings.
- "BBC NEWS - Middle East - Bomber attacks Tel Aviv market". Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- "Suicide blast kills 4 at Tel Aviv market / 16-year-old bomber injures 32 others at outdoor stalls". SFGate. Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- Tatiana Ackerman
- Shmuel Levy
- Leah Levine
- "BBC NEWS - Middle East - Bomber's family condemn militants". Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- Arafat Condemns Market Suicide Bombing (Sky News)
- Suicide bombing at Carmel Market 1-Nov-2004 - published at the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Three dead in Tel Aviv blast - published on The Guardian on November 1, 2004
- Bomber attacks Tel Aviv market - published on BBC News on November 1, 2004
- Suicide Bomber Strikes Market in Israel, Killing at Least 3 - published on the New York Times on November 1, 2004
- Explosion rocks Tel Aviv market - published on USA Today on November 1, 2004