Logo of Carmichael College
|Type||Government university college|
|Principal||Professor Dr. Sheikh Anwar Hossain |
The college is situated in Lalbag, 4 kilometres (2.5 mi) to the south from zero point of the Rangpur town. Having an area of 900 bighas (298 acres), it is the largest college of Bangladesh.
To create higher education opportunity in Rangpur region, the then local landlords (zamindars), including Gopal Lal Roy Bahadur, Mohimaranjan Roy, and Babu Monidra Chandra Roy, took initiative to set up a college. Local people also came forward to help them. Finally the college was established at Lalbag, 4 kilometres (2.5 mi) to the south from zero point of the town. The first Governor of Bengal, Lord T.D.G. Carmicheal, inaugurated the college in 1916 and it was named after him.
More than 25000 students in HSC, Honors and Masters levels are currently studying in this college. The HSC education is controlled by Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education, Dinajpur when 18 Honors and Masters subjects are taught according to the guidance of Bangladesh National University
- Eleventh Science:300
- Eleventh Arts:300
- Eleventh commerce:300
- First year (Honors):3230
- Masters (1st phase):6000 (regular+private)
- Masters (final phase):6000 (regular+private)
The admission rule of Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education and National University, Bangladesh is strictly followed by the college. Eligible students are selected according to the result of Secondary School Certificate examination and Higher Secondary Examination by Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education and National University, Bangladesh.
Having a huge area of 298 acre, the college campus is adorned with academic buildings, tree orchards, ponds and other infrastructures. There are a number of magnificent buildings in the college. These buildings are as old as the college itself. A big library, Shaheed Minar commemorating the martyrs of language movement in 1952, Liberation war monument, a beautiful mosques and a gymnasium are also in the campus.
Department and subject
Hon's and Masters
03. Arabic & Islamic Studies
06. Islamic History & Culture
08. Political Science
12. Finance & Banking
- Raufun Basunia, student leader, was killed during an anti-autocratic protest against military ruler Hussain Muhammad Ershad in 1985.
- Rebati Mohan Dutta Choudhury
- Hossain Muhammad Ershad
- Anisul Hoque
- Nasir Hossain
- Jahanara Imam
- Asaduzzaman Noor
- Abu Sadat Mohammad Sayem
- "Principal's Message". Carmichael College.
- "Website". Archived from the original on 2015-05-21. Retrieved 2020-07-14.
- Maniruzzaman, Muhammad (2012). "Carmichael College, Rangpur". In Islam, Sirajul; Jamal, Ahmed A. (eds.). Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.). Asiatic Society of Bangladesh.
- A brief documentary on Carmichael College Rangpur
- "At a galnce". Carmichael College Rangpur (in Bengali).
- "Subject Information [Year of Establishment and Seat Capacity]".
- কেউ মনে রাখেনি রাউফুন বসুনিয়াকে [No one remembered Raufun Basuniya]. Kaler Kantho (in Bengali). 13 February 2012.
- Sarker, Rafique (18 August 2008). "Brief history of Rangpur Carmichael College". Star Campus. The Daily Star.