South West View of Carndonagh
|Dáil Éireann||Donegal North-East|
|Elevation||32 m (105 ft)|
|Irish Grid Reference|
Carndonagh (Irish: Carn Domhnach) on the Inishowen peninsula in County Donegal, Ireland. The town lies close to the shores of Trawbeaga Bay. Carndonagh is the site of the Donagh Cross, which belonged to an early Christian monastery founded by St. Patrick for Bishop MacCairthan. The original Irish name, Carn Domhnach, means the burial mound of the church. The town is laid out around a central square, or Diamond, and is dominated by its Italianate Catholic church. It is also home to many national schools such as both St. Patrick's GNS and BNS and Carndonagh Community School, formerly the largest community school in Ireland. It is a small but pretty town consisting of cafés, pubs, a variety of shops and a nightclub, 'Tul na Ri'. Carndonagh has a community of active musicians, artists and writers and is home to the Inishowen Carnival Group and the Inishowen Gospel choir (both international performers).
The town is typical of most on the fringes of Ireland, virtually isolated in terms of a reliable transportation system, car ownership is seen as the only means of escape.
The town is served by Foyle Coaches which provides four buses Monday to Friday travelling from Carndonagh to Derry City and vice versa, with three buses on the route on Saturdays. There is also a bus service which is run by John McGinley's bus company. This provides a regular bus service from Carndonagh to Dublin.
Carndonagh consists of a number of small businesses. Shops such as Deirdre's at the Diamond, Blush Boutique and Global Fashions are alongside pubs such as the Arch Inn, the Persian and McClure's in the town. There are a number of cafes - Caffe Banba, Claire the Bakers - with a couple of restaurants located around the local area - the Butterbean, Simpsons. Hairdressers and beauticians such as Vixen Hair and Beauty, Powder & Pout, Prestige Hair and Beauty, Inish Beauty and Laser Clinic and Serenity Hair Design are popular in the area.
Some of the sports clubs and organisations active within the community in Carndonagh are:
- Carndonagh GAA - the local Gaelic football club which participates in the AllSportStore.com Division 4.
- Carndonagh F.C. - the local soccer club, participating in the Inishowen Football League.
- Inishowen Rugby Club - Promoted four seasons in a row and participating in an Ulster league. 
- Inishowen Athletic Club 
- Carndonagh Boxing Club
- Carndonagh Dodgeball Club
- D.A.M.A.F.I. Martial arts class
- Comedian Tommy Tiernan
- Engineer John Pitt Kennedy
- Actor Keith McErlean
- Footballer Gary Doherty
- Racing Driver Damien Faulkner
- "Census 2006 – Volume 1 – Population Classified by Area" (PDF). Central Statistics Office Census 2006 Reports. Central Statistics Office Ireland. April 2007. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-06-07. Retrieved 2011-06-09.
- "Carndonagh station" (PDF). Railscot - Irish Railways. Retrieved 2007-09-14.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Carndonagh.|