Carnet de Passages
The Carnet de Passages en Douane (CPD) is a customs document that identifies a traveller's motor vehicle or other valuable equipment or baggage. It is required in order to take a motor vehicle into a significant but diminishing number of countries around the world.
The Carnet allows travellers to temporarily import their vehicles, or other items of value such as broadcasting equipment, without having to leave a cash deposit at the border. It is, in essence, an international guarantee for payment of customs duties and taxes to a government should the vehicle or item not be re-exported from that country. Persons who temporarily import their vehicles or items into countries where the Carnet is required must agree to obey the laws and regulations of that country and particularly the conditions of temporary importation.
The Carnet contains relevant information about the items or vehicle – make, model, colour, engine capacity, seating capacity, registration number, owner and value.
In order to obtain a carnet, the owner of the items is required to provide a security based on the age and market value of the items. Generally three types of security are acceptable from motoring organisations:
Motorists can typically obtain a Carnet de Passages en Douane from their national automobile association or touring club.
Countries where a CPD is required
- Burkina Faso
- Central African Republic
- DR Congo
- Ivory Coast
- Colombia (only recommended according to some sources)not required if Canadian
- Ecuador (only recommended according to some sources) not required if Canadian
- Peru (only recommended according to some sources) not required if Canadian
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Venezuela (only recommended according to some sources) not required if Canadian
Unless Canadian, recommended for
Asia & Middle East
- East Timor
- Sri Lanka
- Alliance Internationale De Tourisme
- Overland travelers website explaining trip paperwork
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Carnet de Passage.|
- only for vehicles arriving by boat, not for entry by land, see http://www.racq.com.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/3187/New_CPD_Application.pdf