North American Boxart
|Developer(s)||Cat Daddy Games|
|Publisher(s)||Global Star Software|
|Platform(s)||Wii, Nintendo DS|
Carnival Games (known in Europe and Australia as Carnival Funfair Games) is a video game for Nintendo's Wii console and the Nintendo DS. It was published by Global Star Software, before GSS was absorbed into Take-Two Interactive (and what is now 2K Play).
Despite poor reviews by most gaming websites and critics, the game was a commercial success. The Wii and DS versions of the game have combined shipped over 7 million copies to date, which according to the NPD Group, is the third best-selling third-party game on the Wii.
As a result of the original's success, a follow-up for the Wii was announced, and launched in the fall of 2008, titled Carnival Games: Mini-Golf. A proper sequel, New Carnival Games, was released on September 21, 2010 for the Wii and Nintendo DS.
The game consists of various mini-games with a carnival theme, such as Alley Bowling, Lucky Cups, Nerves of Steel, Hoops, and Day at the Races, and Buckets Of Fun. These are set up through five different themed areas of the carnival. The player can even win virtual prizes depending on their score. There are many easter eggs hidden as well. You can also multi-player with up to four players. To do that on the booth's screen click multiplayer and press a to select booth. Games includes ka-pow and hole in 1.
Compilation review site Metacritic calculated an aggregate score of 56/100 (27 reviews) for the game. GameSpot awarded the game a 4.5 out of 10, Nintendo Power gave it a 7 out of 10, IGN gave it a 6.5 out of 10, and GameTrailers gave it a 7.3 out of 10 and Official Nintendo Magazine gave it just 38%.
Carnival: Funfair Games received a "Double Platinum" sales award from the Entertainment and Leisure Software Publishers Association (ELSPA), indicating sales of at least 600,000 copies in the United Kingdom.
- "E3 2010: New Carnival Games Preview".
- "Step Right Up! 2K Play Expands Its Carnival Games Franchise With Carnival Games For Nintendo DS And Carnival Games: Mini-Golf Exclusive". 2008-03-11.[permanent dead link]
- "Carnival Games (wii: 2007) Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 2008-02-24.
- Carnival Games for Wii Review - Wii Carnival Games Review
- IGN: Carnival Games Review
- GameTrailers.com - Carnival Games - Fun Festivities Gameplay
- "ELSPA Sales Awards: Double Platinum". Entertainment and Leisure Software Publishers Association. Archived from the original on May 20, 2009.
- Caoili, Eric (November 26, 2008). "ELSPA: Wii Fit, Mario Kart Reach Diamond Status In UK". Gamasutra. Archived from the original on September 18, 2017.
- "Carnival Games MiniGolf". Nintendo of America. Retrieved 9 September 2009.