Carnival Vista in Willemstad, 2017
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & plc|
|Operator||Carnival Cruise Line|
|Port of registry||Panama City, Panama|
|Builder||Fincantieri, Monfalcone, Italy|
|Laid down||October 14, 2014|
|Launched||June 25, 2015|
|Acquired||April 28, 2016|
|Maiden voyage||May 1, 2016|
|Type||Vista-class cruise ship|
|Length||323.63 m (1,061 ft 9 in)|
|Draught||8.55 m (28 ft 1 in)|
|Depth||11.2 m (36 ft 9 in)|
|Installed power||MAN Diesel & Turbo 3x8L48/60CR + 2x14V48/60CR generating sets|
|Propulsion||Diesel-electric; Two ABB Azipod XO units|
|Speed||18 knots (33 km/h; 21 mph)|
Carnival Vista is a cruise ship operated by Carnival Cruise Line. She is the lead ship of her namesake class, which includes two additional Carnival ships, Carnival Horizon and Carnival Panorama, as well as two Costa ships, Costa Venezia and Costa Firenze.
The ship was delivered on April 28, 2016. Sea trials were completed in March 2016. The ship's maiden voyage embarked on May 1, 2016 from Trieste, Italy on a 13-day Europe Cruise that ended in Barcelona, Spain. Carnival Vista is the first ship in Carnival's Vista class. The ship was christened in New York City by its godmother, Miss USA 2016 Deshauna Barber.
On June 21, 2019, it was announced by Carnival Cruise Line that three scheduled cruises would be cancelled due to performance issues with the ship's propulsion system. The heavy-lift ship BOKA Vanguard was used as a floating dry dock for repairs to the azipod propulsion system. This operation was selected over Grand Bahama Shipyard's drydocks after one of the shipyards cranes collapsed on Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas.
Design and construction
By gross tonnage, Carnival Vista was the largest ship within Carnival Cruise Line's fleet until the 2018-built Carnival Horizon, a sister ship to Carnival Vista. The ship was constructed in the Fincantieri shipyard of Monfalcone (Gorizia) and was delivered in April 2016. The first steel for the ship was cut in late February 2014, and the keel was laid in October 2014. The Carnival Vista's coin ceremony/float out was done in June 2015.
From May to October 2016, Carnival Vista operated an inaugural season in the Mediterranean before repositioning to New York to offer a pair of cruises. She then moved to her new home-port in Miami, Florida, in November 2016 where she sailed year-round until September 2018 when she moved to Galveston, Texas. She offered six, seven, and eight day Caribbean cruises with ports of call such as Ocho Rios, Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Aruba, Curaçao, and Bonaire.
Carnival Vista's homeport will move to Port Canaveral (Orlando, Florida) in November 2023. After transferring homeports, the Carnival Vista will be replaced by the upcoming Carnival Jubilee.
In July 2019, when the vessel was underway to its call in Galveston, it temporarily lost power in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico.
On 28 November 2019, seven passengers aboard Carnival Vista were on an independent bus tour in Belize when the bus crashed, resulting into two deaths and five injuries.
On 6 March 2020, a man was charged in the alleged assault of a teenage boy aboard the ship.
In May 2022, Carnival Vista began to experience propulsion issues which affected its maximum speed, similar to the incident in June 2019. Because of this some itineraries were altered while underway. No official announcement has been made by Carnival Cruise Line as of May 19, 2022. The company's brand ambassador John Heald made a statement that technicians would meet the ship in Galveston to fix the propulsion system. As of June 2022, no further problems have been reported.
- "FINCANTIERI: CONSEGNATA A MONFALCONE "CARNIVAL VISTA"" (PDF). April 29, 2016. Retrieved April 29, 2016.
- Kiellegung der Carnival Vista bei Fincantieri Archived October 25, 2014, at the Wayback Machine Schiffe & Kreuzfahrten, October 15, 2014. Retrieved October 19, 2014.
- "Cruise Ship Orderbook". January 6, 2011. Retrieved January 31, 2016.
- "Carnival Vista (9692569)". LR Class Direct. Lloyd's Register. Retrieved October 31, 2019.
- ABB wins $180 million in orders from cruise ship builders in 2013 ABB, December 6, 2013. Retrieved December 6, 2013.
- "Carnival Vista Fact Sheet". carnival-news.com. August 30, 2018. Retrieved September 6, 2018.
- "Keel-Laying Ceremony Held For New Carnival Vista; 133,500-Ton Ship Set To Debut In Spring 2016" (Press release). Carnival Cruise Line. October 14, 2014. Retrieved December 23, 2014.
- https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7267 Barber
- Pam Wright, Carnival Vista Cruise Ship Creates 'Mini-Tsunami' That Destroys Italian Marina, weather.com, September 11, 2016.
- "Messina, l'onda della nave da crociera travolge il porticciolo". Repubblica Tv - la Repubblica.it. September 2, 2016.
- "Carnival cancels three summer cruises out of Galveston". Galveston County Daily News.
- Thakkar, Emrys (July 13, 2019). "Carnival Vista Arrives to Begin First-Ever Floating Dry Dock". Cruise Hive.
- Labrut, Michele (July 4, 2019). "Heavy lift world first for Boskalis to transport Carnival Vista to drydock". Seatrade Maritime - Shipping, Maritime and Offshore Marine News.
- "Carnival Vista Repair Underway". www.cruiseindustrynews.com. July 15, 2019.
- Riotta, Chris (April 2, 2019). "Crane crashes into one of world's largest cruise ships, injuring eight". The Independent.
- "Carnival Vista is Officially Delivered". cruiseradio.net. April 28, 2016. Retrieved January 29, 2018.
- "Carnival Vista - What You Need to Know". Cruise Radio. January 22, 2015. Retrieved January 26, 2016.
- "Carnival Vista Heads to Galveston, Carnival Breeze to Port Canaveral | Travel Agent Central". www.travelagentcentral.com. January 12, 2017. Retrieved January 17, 2018.
- "Carnival Cruise Lines News". Carnival-news.com. February 12, 2015. Retrieved January 26, 2016.
- "Carnival Cruise Line's Three Newest Cruise Ships Headed to New Homeports". cruisefever.net. August 13, 2018. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- "Carnival Vista, which sets sail from Galveston, temporarily loses power at sea". HoustonChronicle.com. July 3, 2019.
- Zamora-Nipper, Briana (November 28, 2019). "Two Carnival Cruise Line passengers killed in Belize bus accident, cruise line says". KPRC.
- Hermosillo, Danny (March 9, 2020). "FBI: Man charged with assaulting teen aboard Carnival Vista". HoustonChronicle.com.
- "Carnival Vista Suffers Propulsion Issues, Port of Call Canceled". Cruise Hive. May 17, 2022. Retrieved May 19, 2022.
- "CDC's role in helping cruise ship travelers during the COVID-19 pandemic | CDC". April 22, 2020. Archived from the original on April 22, 2020.