|Born||March 7, 1956
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA
|Spouse(s)||Jonathan Utz (divorced)|
Carol Guzy (born March 7, 1956) is an American news photographer for The Washington Post. She has won the Pulitzer Prize four times—one of four people to do so, and the only journalist with that achievement.
Life and career
Guzy was born into a working-class family in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, and she grew up there.
She graduated with an Associate degree in nursing in 1977 from Northampton Community College and planned to work as a nurse until a friend gave her a camera. In 1980, she earned an associate degree in applied science in photography from the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Afterward she became an intern, and then a photographer, at The Miami Herald. She married UPI photographer Jonathan Utz in 1988. That year she also moved to The Washington Post, following her husband to a job in the city. They divorced in 1998.
In 2001, she was awarded the Northampton Community College Alumni Association's Professional Achievement Award. Upon receiving it, Guzy said,
The nursing program gave me more than a degree. It helped me gain an understanding of human suffering and an incredible sensitivity to it. I know that without this background, my photography would have a totally different edge
Besides her work in the Washington Post, Guzy's work has appeared on the Photography Channel.
In August 2007, Guzy's photos of animals left behind on the Gulf Coast, where she spent months in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, were included in a three-artist benefit exhibit titled "Lest We Forget: Three Perspectives on Hurricane Katrina" at the Discovery Too art gallery in Bethesda, Maryland.
- 1986 Pulitzer Prize for Spot News Photography, Guzy and Michel Ducille, The Miami Herald
- 1995 Pulitzer Prize for Spot News Photography, Guzy, The Washington Post
- 2000 Pulitzer Prize for Feature Photography, Guzy, Michael Williamson and Lucian Perkins, The Washington Post
- 1990; 1993; 1997 Photographer of the Year awards in the National Press Photographers' annual contest
- 2009 Best of Photojournalism, Enterprise Picture Story, National Press Photographers Association
- 2009 Robert F. Kennedy Journalism Award (International Photo)
- 2009 The Hillman Prize, Photo-journalism
- 2011 Pulitzer Prize for Breaking News Photography, Guzy, Nikki Kahn and Ricky Carioti, The Washington Post
- 2012 Photographer of the Year, Photo Imaging Manufacturers and Distributors Association (PMDA) annual awards
- 2013 Missouri Honor Medal for Distinguished Service in Journalism "In recognition of her creative and principled use of the camera in pursuit of compassion and social justice"
- "1997 Picture of the Year", The Washington Post
- "1st Place, Enterprise Picture Story (large markets)", Best of Photojournalism
- "Carol Guzy and other panelists talk about how difficult the editing process can be", Inside Media: Celebrate FotoWeek DC, November 22, 2008
- "Tapestry of Life: Essay and Photos by Carol Guzy", Poynter Online, Feb. 23, 2000
- "Guzy, Carol". UXL Encyclopedia of World Biography. 2003.
- Carol Guzy, "Mystery and Horror: Poetry and Wonder". Northampton Magazine, Winter 2001 (pdf). Pages 13–19. Retrieved 2013-11-04.
- "Carl Guzy". Camera Works: Post Photographers. The Washington Post.
- "Carol Guzy, Nikki Kahn and Ricky Carioti". The 2011 Pulitzer Prize Winners: Breaking News Photography. The Pulitzer Prizes. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- "Carol Guzy". Photography: Featured Alumni. The Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale.
- "Reporters arrested covering violence in D.C., Miami, war in Chechnya". Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press (rcfp.org). 1985-03-16. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- . Archived November 2, 2013, at the Wayback Machine.
- "NC Honors 3-time Pulitzer Winner Alumna Bethlehem Native Carol Guzy, Wins Professional Achievement Award For Her Photography". The Morning Call. October 26, 2000.
- Guzy, Carol. "Saved from the Streets". Photography Channel.
- "Lest We Forget: Three Perspectives on Hurricane Katrina". Benefit exhibit, Discovery Too art gallery. August 2007.
- . Archived February 16, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- Smith, Rosalind (March 1999). "Carol Guzy: A Photojournalist's Story". Shutterbug.
- Spot News Photography". The Pulitzer Prizes. Retrieved 2013-10-29. "More details" 1995 (not available 1986) includes short biography and gallery of 10 works (1994 photos).
- "Feature Photography". The Pulitzer Prizes. Retrieved 2013-10-29. "More details" 2000 includes short biographies and gallery of 19 works (1999 photos).
- . Archived January 5, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- . Archived October 9, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- rfk. "2009: Carol Guzy, "Birth and Death" Washington Post - Robert F. Kennedy Center for Justice & Human Rights - Robert F. Kennedy Center for Justice & Human Rights". rfkcenter.org.
- "Breaking News Photography". The Pulitzer Prizes. Retrieved 2013-10-29. "More details" 2011 includes short biographies and gallery of 20 works (2010 photos).
- TWICE.com, "2012 PMDA Award Winners Named". November 1, 2011.
- "2013 Recipients of the Missouri Honor Medal for Distinguished Service in Journalism Announced". Missouri School of Journalism.