|Born||1945 (Age 72)
Walkden, Lancashire, England
|Known for||television gardening programmes|
|Home town||Walkden, Lancashire|
Carol Klein (born 1945) is an English gardening expert, who also works as a television presenter and newspaper columnist.
Born in Walkden, Lancashire, in 1945, Klein attended Bolton School and then trained as an art teacher and taught in schools in Shepherd's Bush, London before moving to Devon. There she lectured at North Devon College and taught art at South Molton Secondary School and Community College before setting up her own plant nursery, Glebe Cottage Plants.
Klein made her television debut on Gardeners' World in 1989 and has since presented other gardening programmes such as Real Gardens and Open Gardens.
Projects include Life in a Cottage Garden with Carol Klein which followed a year in the life of Klein's garden at Glebe Cottage in North Devon, and Grow Your Own Veg. Each week the programme looked at a different group of crop plants or techniques suitable for home gardening. Both programmes were made for BBC Two. She has been a permanent presenter of Gardeners' World since 2005.
Klein has been described as having a "weather-beaten face, forthright manner and fruity accent – mainly West Country but with hints of her native Manchester.."
In 2013, she presented two episodes of Great British Garden Revival.
Klein is married to Neil Klein and has two daughters, Annie and Alice.
In 2011 Klein's nursery business, Glebe Cottage Plants, based at her home at Chittlehamholt near Umberleigh, which took orders from all over the UK, was forced to close after a dispute with her neighbour.
In 2016 she was voted the nation's favourite gardener in a poll for Yorkshire Women's Life Magazine over her Gardener's World colleague Monty Don.
As well as television work, Klein has written a number of best-selling books for Mitchell Beazley and writes for gardening publications such as BBC Gardeners' World magazine as well as a column for The Guardian. She writes a weekly column, syndicated through the Trinity Mirror regional's newspaper publishing business, which appears in the "Saturday Extra" magazine given with regional newspaper titles such as the Liverpool Echo and Manchester Evening News.
- Plant Personalities: Choosing and Growing Plants by Character with Jonathan Buckley (Cassell Illustrated, 2004) ISBN 1-84403-046-6
- RHS Grow Your Own Veg (Mitchell Beazley, 2007) ISBN 978-1-84533-293-8
- RHS Grow Your Own Fruit (Mitchell Beazley, 2008) ISBN 978-1-84533-434-5
- RHS Grow Your Own Veg Journal (Mitchell Beazley, 2008) ISBN 978-1-84533-471-0
- Cook Your Own Veg (Mitchell Beazley, 2008) ISBN 978-1-84533-407-9
- Making a Garden (Mitchell Beazley, 2015) ISBN 978-1-84533-797-1
- Carol Klein. "Carol Klein on busy days in her Devon garden". The Guardian. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- "TV star Carol Klein of Gardeners' World is caught up in a stinking row". The Daily Telegraph. 3 September 2011. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- "I've hit the grass ceiling! How Carol Klein found solace in food after Gardeners' World". Daily Mail. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- Neil Macdonald (4 March 2013). "Saturdays are getting even better in your Liverpool Echo". liverpoolecho. Retrieved 3 December 2014.