Carole & Tuesday
|Carole & Tuesday|
(Kyaroru & Chūzudei)
|Anime television series|
|Written by||Aya Watanabe|
|Original network||Fuji TV (+Ultra)|
|Original run||April 10, 2019 – present|
Carole & Tuesday (キャロル&チューズデイ Kyaroru & Chūzudei) is a 24-episode anime television series produced by studio Bones, in commemoration for the studio's 20th anniversary and the 10th anniversary of record label FlyingDog. It premiered on April 10, 2019 on Fuji TV's +Ultra programming block.
- Carole Stanley (キャロル Kyaroru)
- Voiced by: Miyuri Shimabukuro (speaking voice), Nai Br.XX (singing voice)
- Tuesday Simmons (チューズデイ Chūzudei)
- Voiced by: Kana Ichinose (speaking voice), Celeina Ann (singing voice)
- Angela Carpenter (アンジェラ Anjera)
- Voiced by: Sumire Uesaka (speaking voice), Alisa (singing voice)
- Gus Goldman (ガス Gas)
- Voiced by: Akio Ōtsuka
- Tao (タオ Tao)
- Voiced by: Hiroshi Kamiya
- Roddy (ロディ Rodi)
- Voiced by: Miyu Irino
- Ertegun (アーティガン Ātigan)
- Voiced by: Mamoru Miyano
- Dahlia (ダリア Daria)
- Voiced by: Kenyu Horiuchi
- Valerie (ヴァレリー Varerī)
- Voiced by: Tomoko Miyadera
- Spencer (スペンサー Supensā)
- Voiced by: Takahiro Sakurai
- Crystal (クリスタル Kurisutaru)
- Voiced by: Maaya Sakamoto
- Skip (スキップ Sukippu)
- Voiced by: Hiroki Yasumoto
- Voiced by: Yūki Kaji
Production and release
The 24-episode anime television series by studio Bones is directed by Motonobu Hori and written by Aya Watanabe, with Shinichirō Watanabe as supervising director. Eisaku Kubonouchi and Tsunenori Saito provide the anime's character designs. The series premiered on Fuji TV's +Ultra timeslot on April 10, 2019, and is streamed exclusively on Netflix. The series is in commemoration of the 20th anniversary of Bones and the 10th anniversary of Flying Dog. A special broadcast, Carole & Tuesday Golden Week Special, was aired on Line Live on May 1, 2019. It included a behind-the-scenes documentary, recording sessions with the singers, and the music video for the opening theme song "Kiss Me".
The first soundtrack album, covering the first 12 episodes and comprising 20 tracks, is to be released on July 10, 2019, and on digital services on May 29, 2019. The album is to consist of songs written for the series' characters by the contributing musicians.
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date|
|1||"True Colors"||Motonobu Hori||Deko Akao||April 10, 2019|
|Tuesday Simmons, the teenaged daughter of a prominent politician on terraformed Mars, runs away from home to be able to play music. In Alba City, chance brings her together with Carole, another aspiring young musician who's just been fired from her dead-end job. The two decide to make music together. Meanwhile, the prominent model Angela Carpenter is engaged as a "puppet" singer by the AI media mogul Tao.|
|2||"Born to Run"||Shohei Miyake||Deko Akao||April 17, 2019|
|Angela undergoes uncomfortable training with Tao. Carole is fired from another job. She and Tuesday sneak into a concert hall to play on a real piano. Their performance is surreptitiously filmed by the technician Roddy, and goes viral. Seeing it, the drunkard Gus Goldman tracks the two down and declares himself their manager.|
|3||"Fire and Rain"||Satoshi Takato||Yasuhiro Nakanishi||April 24, 2019|
|Gus, a music producer whose best days are behind him, convinces the girls to sign on with him. A laundromat visit inspires them to create a new song. Carole, Tuesday and Angela separately undergo dubious voice training, and Angela's mother Dahlia pressures her daughter into continuing. Roddy connects Carole and Tuesday to the sleazy star DJ Ertegun. He dismisses the mere idea of non-AI-made music, and the visit ends in a disaster, but the girls are not disheartened.|
|4||"Video Killed the Radio Star"||Tsuyoshi Tobita||Kimiko Ueno||May 1, 2019|
|Carole, Tuesday, Gus and Roddy decide to make a viral music video. They buy the cheap director robot "IDEA", Gus convinces his ex-wife Marie to be the stylist, and they scrounge together the materials for a zombie-robot-dance video. But IDEA turns out to be a scammer who just wants to drink beer, the clip is awful and the girls are back at square one.|
|5||"Every Breath You Take"||Noriyuki Nomata||Deko Akao||May 8, 2019|
|Gus and Roddy try to find a venue for the girls' first gig. After Gus is thrown out by his ex-buddy-turned-CEO Höfner, Roddy convinces his friend, the bar owner Beth, to let Carole and Tuesday play one song, which is warmly received by the audience of ten. Tuesday's brother arrives in town to look for her, but leaves after he hears her sing. An a capella performance by Angela convinces the magnate Schwarz to invest 12 million woolong in her with Tao.|
|6||"Life Is a Carnival"||Shohei Miyake||Yuichi Nomura||May 15, 2019|
|Höfner arranges for Carole and Tuesday to be the backup for the flaky star Joshua in the prestigious Cydonia Festival. In shock, the two quickly compose a rock song. At the festival, the girls have to evade Ertegun and are encouraged by Skip, a veteran performer, before he takes the stage ("Unrequited Love" by Thundercat). When Joshua has a breakdown, Carole and Tuesday are called up. Facing a hostile crowd, they get though half of their song ("Round & Laundry") before the recovered Joshua storms the stage. But Crystal, another prominent musician, lifts their spirits with praise, and closes the evening ("Unbreakable" by Lauren Dyson).|
|7||"Show Me The Way"||Satoshi Takato||Kimiko Ueno||May 22, 2019|
- "Carole & Tuesday, a Groundbreaking Musical Anime, Introduces a New Character and the Artists Behind the Music". Anime News Network. December 6, 2018. Retrieved May 4, 2019.
- "Shinichiro Watanabe, BONES' Original Carol & Tuesday Anime Reveals Promo Video, Cast, April 10 Premiere". Anime News Network. February 21, 2019. Archived from the original on February 22, 2019. Retrieved February 21, 2019.
- "Original Carole & Tuesday Anime Casts Kenyuu Horiuchi, Tomoko Miyadera, Takahiro Sakurai". Anime News Network. March 14, 2019. Archived from the original on April 3, 2019. Retrieved March 14, 2019.
- "Carole & Tuesday Anime Casts Maaya Sakamoto, Hiroki Yasumoto". Anime News Network. March 23, 2019. Archived from the original on March 24, 2019. Retrieved March 23, 2019.
- "Carole & Tuesday Anime Casts Yuki Kaji". Anime News Network. May 15, 2019. Retrieved May 15, 2019.
- "Shinichiro Watanabe, BONES' Original Anime Carole & Tuesday Reveals More Staff, Netflix Streaming, Story, Ad, Visual". Anime News Network. November 7, 2018. Archived from the original on November 7, 2018. Retrieved November 7, 2018.
- "Carole & Tuesday Anime's 2nd Behind-the-Scenes Video Shows Music Recording". Anime News Network. March 28, 2019. Archived from the original on March 28, 2019. Retrieved March 28, 2019.
- "Shinichiro Watanabe, BONES Produce Carol & Tuesday Original Anime for April 2019". Anime News Network. March 8, 2018. Archived from the original on March 8, 2018. Retrieved March 8, 2018.
- Dennison, Kara (April 27, 2019). "Carole & Tuesday Announces More Musicians, Golden Week Special". Crunchyroll. Retrieved May 4, 2019.
- "Get An Early Listen to Carole & Tuesday Anime's Opening Theme". Anime News Network. April 3, 2019. Archived from the original on April 3, 2019. Retrieved April 3, 2019.
- "Flying Lotus, Thundercat, ☆Taku Takahashi, & More Join 'Carole & Tuesday' Composer Lineup". Otaquest. April 3, 2019. Archived from the original on April 4, 2019. Retrieved April 4, 2019.
- Dennison, Kara (April 24, 2019). "Carole & Tuesday Announces Soundtrack Vol. 1 Packed with 20 Tunes". Crunchyroll. Retrieved May 4, 2019.