Carole Hillenbrand, CBE FBA (born 1943), is Emerita Professor in Islamic History at the University of Edinburgh and Professor of Islamic History at the University of St Andrews. She is the Vice-President of the British Society for Middle Eastern Studies and a Member of the Council for Assisting Refugee Academics.
Hillenbrand was born in 1943 in London. In 1962, she enrolled in the Girton College, Cambridge where she studied modern languages. She then attended Somerville College at Oxford, where she studied Arabic and Turkish.
Hillenbrand gained a BA in Modern and Medieval Languages from Girton College, Cambridge in 1965 and a BA in Oriental Studies from Somerville College, Oxford in 1972. She gained her PhD at the University of Edinburgh in 1979. Her research interests include: the Crusades; Islamic political thought; medieval and modern concepts of jihad; Arabic and Persian travel literature. Dr. Hillenbrand serves on the editorial boards of several academic journals including the Journal of Arabic and Islamic Studies and the International Advisory Board of The UMRAN - International Journal of Islamic and Civilizational Studies (ISSN 2289-8204), University of Technology, Malaysia.
In the 2009 New Year Honours, Hillenbrand was appointed as Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE). In 2016, she was awarded the Nayef Al-Rodhan Prize for Global Cultural Understanding by the British Academy for her book Islam: A New Historical Introduction.
- "Carole Hillenbrand". NNDB. Retrieved 3 September 2018.
- Back cover of her book of 2015, Islam: A New Historical Introduction
- Houghton, Robert; Peters, Damien (2017). The Crusades: Islamic Perspectives: Islamic Perspectives. CRC Press. p. 13. ISBN 9781351353045.
- "Professor Carole Hillenbrand". www.crusaderstudies.org.uk. Retrieved 3 September 2018.
- Goodwin, Stephen R., ed. (2009). World Christianity in Muslim Encounter: Essays in Memory of David A. Kerr (illustrated ed.). A&C Black. p. x. ISBN 9781847065117.
- "No. 58929". The London Gazette (Supplement). 31 December 2008. p. 10.
- "2016 Nayef Al-Rodhan Prize for Transcultural Understanding awarded to Professor Carole Hillenbrand". British Academy. 1 November 2016. Retrieved 23 July 2017.
- "Birthday Honours List - United Kingdom". London Gazette. Supplement No. 1: B8. 9 June 2018.
- "Somervillians recognised in Queen's Birthday Honours". www.some.ox.ac.uk. 19 June 2018.
- "Professor Carole Hillenbrand". www.some.ox.ac.uk. Retrieved 3 September 2018.
- CV of Carole Hillenbrand