|Institutions||University of Cambridge
|Alma mater||University of Cambridge|
|Thesis||The detection of distant cooling flows (1988)|
|Doctoral advisor||Andrew Fabian|
She progressed through a series of postdoctoral and research fellowships at Balliol College, Oxford, the Institute of Astronomy, Trinity Hall and Newnham College, University of Cambridge. From 1996 to 2007 she was a Royal Society Research Fellow.
In 2004 she was appointed as a Fellow and College Lecturer at Emmanuel College, Cambridge, where she is now also the undergraduate Admissions Tutor for the Physical Sciences. She currently holds this position in conjunction with her role as Outreach Officer at the Institute of Astronomy, which she first took on in 2005.
Crawford's "primary research interests are in combining X-ray, optical and near-infrared observations to study the physical processes occurring around massive galaxies at the core of clusters of galaxies. In particular, she observes the complex interplay between the hot intra-cluster medium, filaments of warm ionized gas, cold molecular clouds, star formation and the radio plasma flowing out from the central supermassive black hole." 
Outreach and awards
Crawford delivers public lectures, talks, workshops and debates throughout the UK and beyond on wide range of topics within astronomy. She regularly delivers such science outreach presentations to over 4,000 people annually. She is a regular in broadcast media, with numerous appearances on programmes such as In Our Time and Home Planet on BBC Radio 4.
In 2009 Crawford was recognized for her outstanding abilities at science communication by a Women of Outstanding Achievement Award by the UK Resource Centre for Women in Science, Engineering and Technology, presented for “communication of science with a contribution to society.”
- Carolin Crawford at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "Fellow of the Colleges: Emmanuel College". Cambridge University Reporter No 3: Fellows of the Colleges. Cambridge University. 7 October 2010. Retrieved 24 August 2011.
- "Curriculum Vitae: Carolin Crawford" (PDF). Gresham College. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
- "Gresham College Press Release 13/06/2011 | Gresham College". Gresham College. 2011-06-13. Retrieved 2014-07-18.
- Frances, 2nd Year. "Emmanuel College | Contact | Fellows". Emma.cam.ac.uk. Retrieved 2014-07-18.
- "Women of Outstanding Achievement". WISE Campaign. Retrieved 2015-07-30.
- "Women of Outstanding Achievement 2009 booklet". WISE Campaign. 2 November 2009. Retrieved 2015-07-30.