Carolina Bhering de Araujo
Rio de Janeiro
|Alma mater||Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro (BSc)|
Princeton University (PhD)
|Known for||Algebraic geometry|
|Institutions||Instituto Nacional de Matemática Pura e Aplicada|
|Thesis||The Variety of Tangents to Rational Curves (2004)|
|Doctoral advisor||János Kollár|
Education and career
Araujo was born and raised in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. She did her undergraduate studies in Brazil, completing a degree in mathematics in 1998 from the Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro. She earned her PhD in 2004 at Princeton University, where her dissertation, supervised by János Kollár, was titled The Variety of Tangents to Rational Curves.
She is currently a researcher at the Instituto Nacional de Matemática Pura e Aplicada in Brazil (IMPA), and the only woman (as of 2018) on the permanent research staff at IMPA. She is also a Simons Associate at the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP). She is the vice-president of the Committee for Women in Mathematics at the International Mathematical Union.
Araujo was both an organizer and an invited speaker at the 2018 International Congress of Mathematicians. She led the inaugural World Meeting for Women in Mathematics (WM)2 in August 2018. She was also one of the female mathematicians profiled in the short documentary called Journeys of Women in Mathematics, funded by the Simons Foundation.
She is included in a deck of playing cards featuring notable women mathematicians published by the Association of Women in Mathematics.
- Lamb, Evelyn (22 December 2018), "Women Mathematicians in Their Own Words", Scientific American, retrieved 2019-01-27
- "Carolina Bhering de Araujo", Escavador (in Portuguese), retrieved 2020-10-20
- Carolina Araujo, European Women in Maths, archived from the original on 2018-07-16, retrieved 2018-07-15
- Carolina Araujo at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "Mulheres protagonizam atividade do 'Matemática na Urca'", Comunicacao UNIRIO (in Portuguese), 20 October 2016
- Roberts, Siobhan (22 January 2019), "Carolina Araujo is building a network of women in mathematics", Quanta Magazine, retrieved 2019-01-27
- Prêmio Para Mulheres na Ciência L'Oréal-UNESCO-ABC abre inscrições (in Portuguese), Brazilian Mathematical Society, 14 March 2016, retrieved 2018-07-15
- World Women in Mathematics, Journeys of Women in Mathematics (full length version), retrieved 2019-01-27
- Prize Announcement, Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics, 21 September 2020, retrieved 2020-09-22
- "Mathematicians of EvenQuads Deck 1". awm-math.org. Retrieved 2022-06-18.
- Faculty profile page for Carolina Araujo at IMPA