Princess Carolina of Orange-Nassau
|Princess consort of Nassau-Weilburg|
|Reign||5 March 1760 - 6 May 1787|
|Born||28 February 1743|
|Died||6 May 1787(aged 44)|
|Spouse||Charles Christian, Prince of Nassau-Weilburg|
|Issue||Prince George Wilhelm
Prince Wilhelm Ludwig
Luise, Princess Heinrich XIII Reuss of Greiz
Frederick William, Prince of Nassau-Weilburg
Karoline, Princess of Wied
Prince Karl Ludwig
Amalie, Princess of Anhalt-Bernburg-Schaumburg-Hoym
Henriette, Duchess Louis of Württemberg
|Father||William IV, Prince of Orange|
|Mother||Anne, Princess Royal|
|Religion||Dutch Reformed Church|
Princess Carolina of Orange-Nassau, Princess of Nassau-Weilburg (Wilhelmine Carolina; 28 February 1743, Leeuwarden – 6 May 1787, Kirchheimbolanden) was the daughter of William IV, Prince of Orange, Stadtholder of the Netherlands, and Anne, Princess Royal.
Princess Carolina was born in Leeuwarden. In 1747, it was declared that the position of Stadtholder could be inherited by females, thus making the young Princess Carolina the heiress presumptive to the position of Stadtholder. However, in 1748, a male heir, Willem, was born to her parents, thus displacing her and putting her second in line to the position.
Princess Carolina's father died in 1751, making her three-year-old brother Willem V of Orange. At that point, her mother was appointed Princess-Regent. However, in 1759, her mother died, and Willem V was still just ten years old. Then, Princess Carolina's paternal grandmother, Princess Marie-Luise, was made Princess-Regent. Princess Marie-Luise was regent until 1765, when she died. Willem V was now seventeen, but that was still not old enough to rule on his own. So, Princess Carolina was made regent. She ruled until 1766, when Willem V turned eighteen.
Marriage and children
On 5 March 1760 in The Hague, during the regency of her grandmother Princess Marie Luise, Princess Carolina married Karl Christian, Prince of Nassau-Weilburg. They had fifteen children, seven of whom survived to adulthood:
- Georg Wilhelm Belgicus of Nassau-Weilburg (The Hague, 18 December 1760 - Honselaarsdijk, 27 May 1762)
- Wilhelm Ludwig Karl Flamand of Nassau-Weilburg (The Hague, 12 December 1761 - Kirchheim, 16 April/26 April 1770)
- Augusta Carolina Maria of Nassau-Weilburg (The Hague, 5 February 1764 - Weilburg, 25 January 1802). A nun in Quedlinburg and Herford.
- Wilhelmine Luise of Nassau-Weilburg, then of Nassau (The Hague, 28 September 1765 - Greiz, 10 October 1837), married in Kirchheim on 9 January 1786 Heinrich XIII, Prince Reuss of Greiz (Greiz, 16 February 1747 - Greiz, 29 January 1817), and had issue:
- Prince Heinrich XVIII Reuss of Greiz (31 March 1787 – 31 March 1787)
- Heinrich XIX, Prince Reuss of Greiz (1 March 1790 – 31 October 1836), married in 1822 to Princess Gasparine of Rohan-Rochefort, had issue.
- Heinrich XX, Prince Reuss of Greiz (29 June 1794 – 8 November 1859), married firstly in 1834 to Princess Sophie of Löwenstein-Wertheim- Rosenberg, no issue, Princess Sophie died in 1838; Married secondly in 1839 to Landgravine Karoline of Hesse-Homburg, had issue.
- Frederick William, Duke of Nassau (25 October 1768, The Hague - 9 January 1816).
- Karoline Luise Friederike of Nassau-Weilburg, then of Nassau (Kirchheim, 14 February 1770 - Wiesbaden, 8 July 1828), married in Kirchheim on 4 September 1787 Karl Ludwig Fürst zu Wied (Dierdorf, 9 September 1763 - Dierdorf, 9 March 1824), without issue
- Karl Ludwig of Nassau-Weilburg (Kirchheim, 19 July 1772 - Kirchheim, 27 July 1772)
- Karl Wilhelm Friedrich of Nassau-Weilburg, then of Nassau (Kirchheim, 1 May 1775 - Weilburg, 11 May 1807), unmarried and without issue
- Amalie Charlotte Wilhelmine Louise of Nassau-Weilburg, then of Nassau (Kirchheim, 7 August 1776 - Schaumburg, 19 February 1841), married firstly in Weilburg on 29 October 1793 Victor II, Prince of Anhalt-Bernburg-Schaumburg-Hoym, and had issue, and married secondly in Schaumburg on 15 February 1813 Friedrich Freiherr von Stein-Liebenstein zu Barchfeld (14 February 1777 - 4 December 1849), and had issue
- Henriette of Nassau-Weilburg, then of Nassau (22 April 1780 - 2 January 1857). Married Duke Louis of Württemberg, second son of Friedrich II Eugen, Duke of Württemberg.
- Karl of Nassau-Weilburg (1784 - shortly thereafter)
- Four nameless, stillborn, children (1767, 1778, 1779, 1785)
|Ancestors of Princess Carolina of Orange-Nassau|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2012)|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Princess Carolina of Orange-Nassau.|