19 September 1975|
|Occupation||Writer, journalist, filmmaker|
Caroline Fourest (born September 19, 1975 in Aix-en-Provence) is a French feminist writer, film director, journalist, radio presenter at France Culture, and editor of the magazine ProChoix. She is the author of Frère Tariq ("Brother Tariq"), a critical look at the works of Muslim intellectual Tariq Ramadan. She was also a columnist for Charlie Hebdo, for Le Monde until 14 July 2012 ans she joined Marianne since 2016.
Education and career
A graduate in sociology and political science, Fourest has written many books about the conservative right, the pro-life movement (France and USA), and contemporary fundamentalist trends in Abrahamic religions. She also began serving as the President of the Gay and Lesbian Center in 1999.
In March 2006, Fourest signed MANIFESTO: Together facing the new totalitarianism, a manifesto opposing Islamist totalitarianism that gained wide publicity. The other eleven signatories include Salman Rushdie, Ibn Warraq, Maryam Namazie, Taslima Nasreen, and Ayaan Hirsi Ali.
Fourest has received several political awards for her work, including the National Award of "Laïcité" in 2005, and the "Award of the political book" in 2006.
She is an advisory board member of the Anna Lindh Foundation, fan organization focused on intercultural dialogue.
In October 2012, Caroline Fourest was sentenced to pay a fine of 800 euros and 3300 euros respectively in damages for libel against Marine Le Pen, Jean-Marie Le Pen and Franck Chauffroy in a biography she wrote titled Marine Le Pen.
In October 2014, Fourest suggested that a racist attack on a young Muslim girl in 2013 could have been fabricated or that if it was real, the girl's family could have been responsible. Fourest was subsequently accused of libel and ordered to pay 6,000 euros. The verdict has been appealed and reverted since the accusation was made after the three-month legal delay. The attacker, Rabia Bentot was fined to pay back Caroline Fourest 4000 euros for abusive procedure. 
- Fourest, Caroline; Fiammetta Venner (1998). Le guide des sponsors du Front national et de ses amis (in French). Paris: R. Castells.
- Fourest, Caroline; Fiammetta Venner (1999). Les anti-pacs ou La dernière croisade homophobe (in French). Paris: Éditions Prochoix.
- Fourest, Caroline (2000). Foi contre choix: la droite religieuse et le mouvement pro-life aux Etats-Unis [Faith against choice: The religious right and the prolife movement] (in French). Paris: Golias.
- Fourest, Caroline (2003). Tirs croisés: la laïcité à l'épreuve des intégrismes juif, chrétien et musulman [Crossfire: Jewish, Christian and Muslim fanaticism against secularism] (in French). Paris: Calmann-Lévy.
- Fourest, Caroline (2007). Le choc des préjugés: l'impasse des postures sécuritaires et victimaires (in French). Paris: Calmann-Lévy.
- Fourest, Caroline (2008). Brother Tariq: The Doublespeak of Tariq Ramadan. New York: Encounter Books. ISBN 978-1-59403-215-8.
- Fourest, Caroline (2009). La tentation obscurantiste [The last utopia: threats against universalism] (in French). Paris: Grasset.
- Nasreen, Taslima; Fourest, Caroline (2010). Libres de le dire: conversations mécréantes [Free to say it] (in French). Paris: Flammarion Lettres. ISBN 978-2-08-123300-3.
- Fourest, Caroline; Fiammetta Venner (2011). Marine Le Pen (in French). Paris: Éditions Grasset.
- Fourest, Caroline (2014). Inna: Les paradoxes d'une Femen (in French). Paris: Éditions Grasset. ISBN 978-2-24-680732-2.
- Fourest, Caroline (2015). In Praise of Blasphemy: Why Charlie Hebdo is Not "islamophobic". Paris: Grasset.
- Fourest, Caroline (2016). Génie de la laïcité [The genius of secularism]. Paris: Bernard Grasset.
- Sœur Innocenta, priez pour nous !, medium-length documentary co-directed with Fiammetta Venner.
- Safia et Sarah, short film, 18 minutes (2004).
- Hymen : certifiées vierges, documentary (Envoyé spécial, France 2, 2008).
- La Bataille des droits de l'homme, documentary (Arte, 2009).
- Des Petits Soldats contre l'avortement, documentary (Canal+, 2011).
- Marine Le Pen, l'héritière, documentary co-directed with Fiammetta Venner (France 2, 2011).
- 100 Muslim women talk about themselves, documentary series of 20 episodes co-directed with Fiammetta Venner (France 24, 2011).
- Nos seins, nos armes ! (Our breasts, our weapons!), documentary about Femen co-directed and co-written with Nadia El Fani (France 2, 2013)
- Les Réseaux de l'extrême, documentary series in four parts: Les Obsédés du complot, Les Radicaux de l'islam, Les Enragés de l'identité and Les Naufragés de Sion (France 5, 2013).
- Cahiers de doléances, documentary series in 9 parts: (LCP, 2013).
- L'École des hautes études en sciences sociales: Liste des mémoires soutenus 2002 Archived July 6, 2013, at the Wayback Machine. (in French)
- McCaffrey, Enda (2005), The gay republic: sexuality, citizenship and subversion in France, Ashgate Publishing, Ltd., p. 207, ISBN 0-7546-4502-9
- Scott, Joan Wallach (2007), The politics of the veil, Princeton University Press, p. 175, ISBN 0-691-12543-0
- Fourest, Caroline; Fiammetta Venner (2011). Marine Le Pen. Paris: Éditions Grasset. (in French)
- "Le Pen : Fourest condamnée pour diffamation", Le Journal du Dimanche, October 9, 2012 (in French)