|Member of Parliament|
for Sleaford and North Hykeham
Assumed office |
8 December 2016
|Preceded by||Stephen Phillips|
31 December 1977
|Alma mater||Newcastle University|
Caroline Elizabeth Johnson (née Burton; born 31 December 1977) is a British Conservative Party politician and consultant paediatrician. She has been the Member of Parliament (MP) for Sleaford and North Hykeham since the by-election on 8 December 2016.
Early life and education
Caroline Elizabeth Burton was born in Middlesbrough on 31 December 1977, the daughter of Len and Lynda Burton. She was educated at Nunthorpe Comprehensive School and at Gordonstoun School in Moray. She graduated with a medical degree (MB BS) from Newcastle University Medical School in 2001. Johnson trained in paediatrics, becoming a senior house officer in 2002 and a specialist registrar in 2005; she became a consultant paediatrician in 2012.
She contested the Scunthorpe seat in the 2010 general election, coming second to the Labour candidate Nic Dakin. In the June 2016 European Union membership referendum, Johnson voted for Brexit. Later in the year, a by-election was called in the Sleaford and North Hykeham constituency after the resignation of its MP Stephen Phillips following differences between him and the government on Brexit. Johnson was selected by the Conservative Party to contest the seat in the December by-election. In the by-election she was elected as MP with 17,570 (53.5%) votes and a majority of 13,144. Johnson retained her seat in the 2017 general election with 42,245 votes (64.2%) and a majority of 25,237. Following the election, she was chosen to be part of the Health Select Committee and the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee. Johnson is also the chair of the All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) for Children who need Palliative Care and Rural Crime.
Since 2001, Caroline has been married to Nik Johnson and they have three children. Nik works as a farmer. They live in Sudbrook, Lincolnshire. In addition to her parliamentary duties, she continues to work as a consultant paediatrician in Peterborough.
- "No. 61961". The London Gazette. 19 June 2017. p. 11783.
- "Conservatives win Sleaford by-election". BBC News. 8 December 2016. Archived from the original on 9 December 2016. Retrieved 9 December 2016.
- "Johnson, Caroline Elizabeth", Who's Who (online edition, Oxford University Press, December 2017). Retrieved 28 December 2017.
- "The View from HQ" (PDF). Gordonstoun. p. 4. Archived (PDF) from the original on 13 July 2017. Retrieved 19 October 2017.
- "List of Registered Medical Practitioners". General Medical Council. Archived from the original on 10 November 2017. Retrieved 19 October 2017.
- "Sleaford by-election candidates chosen by main parties". BBC News. 13 November 2016. Archived from the original on 14 November 2016. Retrieved 9 December 2016.
- "Grantham A&E is major issue as doctor and nurse contest Sleaford by-election". Grantham Journal. 18 November 2016. Archived from the original on 11 August 2017. Retrieved 18 October 2017.
- Syal, Rajeev; Asthana, Anushka (4 November 2016). "Stephen Phillips MP: 'I can no longer live with being labelled a Tory'". The Guardian. Archived from the original on 19 October 2017. Retrieved 18 October 2017.
- Pidluznyj, Stefan (11 November 2016). "Conservatives choose Caroline Johnson as candidate for Sleaford and North Hykeham by-election". Lincolnshire Reporter. Archived from the original on 11 August 2017. Retrieved 19 October 2017.
- Mason, Rowena; Weaver, Matthew (9 December 2016). "Sleaford byelection: Caroline Johnson holds seat for Conservatives". The Guardian. Archived from the original on 19 October 2017.
- "Sleaford & North Hykeham". BBC News. Archived from the original on 20 May 2017. Retrieved 19 October 2017.
- "Dr Caroline Johnson MP". parliament.uk. Archived from the original on 19 October 2017. Retrieved 19 October 2017.
- "Register of All-Party Parliamentary Groups" (PDF). 8 November 2017. pp. 300, 745.
- "Peterborough City Hospital". NHS Choices. Archived from the original on 19 October 2017. Retrieved 19 October 2017.
- Davies, Elaine (9 June 2017). "Caroline Johnson focuses on Brexit as she is re-elected in Sleaford and North Hykeham". Lincolnshire Live. Archived from the original on 19 October 2017.
- "The Register of Members' Financial Interests As at 7th July 2017". parliament.uk. Archived from the original on 19 October 2017. Retrieved 19 October 2017.
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 2010–present
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament
for Sleaford and North Hykeham