Caroline Springs railway station
|PTV regional rail station|
Ravenhall, Victoria 3023
City of Melton
|Distance||21.20 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Platforms||2 (1 island)|
|Status||Operational, Staffed Part-Time|
|Fare zone||Myki Zone 2|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||28 January 2017|
|Previous names||Ravenhall (Provisionally)|
The Victorian Transport Plan, released in 2008, proposed the progressive upgrade of the Melton line, to support future urban development in the corridor. Construction of the station was to have commenced in 2010, and be completed in 2012.
After the 2010 State Election, the Baillieu Government put further construction on hold, with an access road to the site having been partially constructed. Construction of a bridge over the railway line had to be completed, to serve the nearby Boral quarry, which otherwise would have been isolated by the new Regional Rail Link line that runs north-south across it.
In May 2014, in the run-up to the 2014 State Election, the Napthine Government announced that construction would commence in 2014, with a scheduled 2016 completion date. Construction commenced in August 2015.
However, in May 2016, the Andrews Government made the decision to "future-proof" the station for the duplication of the Ballarat line, by redesigning the station with a second platform. As a result, the opening of the station was delayed until early 2017.
As part of the Regional Rail Revival project, 18km of track was duplicated between Deer Park West and Melton. It was provided in late 2019, coinciding with the opening of Cobblebank station.
Platforms and services
- Southern Cross services to
- services to Southern Cross
- Caroline Springs Vicsig
- Andrew Jefferson (7 November 2010). "Work starts on Caroline Springs train station, just a bit south". Melton Leader. Archived from the original on 10 November 2010. Retrieved 6 December 2010.
- "Transport Projects - New station for Caroline Springs". transport.vic.gov.au. 2011. Archived from the original on 23 April 2011. Retrieved 30 June 2011.
- Jason Dowling and David Rood (25 March 2011). "State of limbo: Baillieu's project logjam". The Age. Retrieved 30 June 2011.
- Jason Dowling (1 February 2012). "Caroline Springs station in limbo". The Age. Retrieved 7 July 2012.
- Construction set to begin on a new station for Caroline Springs Archived 2 May 2014 at the Wayback Machine Premier of Victoria 2 May 2014
- Public Transport Victoria: Caroline Springs Station Archived 25 May 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- Lauaki, Esther (24 May 2016). "Redesign for unopened Caroline Springs station". Star Weekly. Retrieved 28 January 2017.
- "There's more in store for regional Victoria". 21 November 2016. Archived from the original on 9 January 2017. Retrieved 9 January 2017.
- Caroline Springs Train Station community day Archived 2 February 2017 at the Wayback Machine City of Melton
- Melbourne's Newest Station Ready for Passengers Minister for Public Transport 28 January 2017
- "A Real Plan For Fast Regional Rail And Metro Rail For The West". Retrieved 30 April 2020.
- "Cobblebank Station opening community event". Victoria's Big Build. Retrieved 7 November 2021.
- "Celebrating Cobblebank Station opening". Victoria's Big Build. Retrieved 7 November 2021.
- Ballarat - Melbourne timetable Public Transport Victoria
- "460 Watergardens Station - Caroline Springs Station via Caroline Spring Town Centre". Public Transport Victoria.
- "462 Watergardens Station - Caroline Springs (south) via Caroline Springs Square SC". Public Transport Victoria.