|Occupation||Screenwriter, director, producer|
Caroline Thompson (born April 23, 1956) is an American novelist, screenwriter, film director, and producer. She wrote the screenplays for Tim Burton's films Edward Scissorhands, The Nightmare Before Christmas, and Corpse Bride. She co-wrote the story for Edward Scissorhands and recently co-adapted a new stage version of the film with director and choreographer Matthew Bourne. Thompson also adapted the screenplay for the film version of Wicked Lovely, a bestselling fantasy series, in 2011, but the production was put into turnaround.
Thompson was born in Washington, D.C., the daughter of Bettie Marshall (née Warner), a teacher, and Thomas Carlton Thompson, Jr., a lawyer. She received her early education in Washington. Thereafter she went to Cambridge, Massachusetts to attend Radcliffe College, Harvard University, and eventually graduated from Amherst College in English and classic literature in 1978.
Thompson moved to Los Angeles, supporting herself as a freelance book reviewer and writer. In 1983, she published a novel "First Born" which director Penelope Spheeris chose to make into a film, and from whom she started learning scriptwriting while writing the drafts of the film's screenplay. Though the movie was never made, the project gave her the impetus to find a new career as a screenwriter.
Her other works include Snow White: The Fairest of Them All for Hallmark, starring Miranda Richardson and Kristin Kreuk, The Secret Garden, Buddy, Black Beauty, Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey, and The Addams Family.
From the above, she directed Black Beauty (1994) as her directorial debut, followed by Snow White in 2001 for TV and Buddy. She was the producer for Snow White and the associate producer for The Secret Garden and Edward Scissorhands.
Thompson was recently presented with the Distinguished Screenwriter Award at the 2011 Austin Film Festival.
- Edward Scissorhands (1990)
- The Addams Family (1991)
- Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey (1993)
- The Secret Garden (1993)
- The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
- Black Beauty (1994)
- Buddy (1997)
- Snow White: The Fairest of Them All (TV, 2001)
- Corpse Bride (2005)
- City of Ember (2008)
- Welcome to Marwen (2018)
- First born, Published by Coward-McCann, 1983. ISBN 0-698-11224-5.
- Edward Scissorhands, by Thompson & Tim Burton. Published by distributed by Cinestore, 1990.
- The Secret Garden, Adapted by Thompson. Published by s.n., 1991.
- The Addams Family: A Novelization, by Elizabeth Faucher, Thompson, & Larry Wilson. Published by Scholastic Inc., 1991. ISBN 0-590-45541-9.
- Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas: A Novel, by Daphne Skinner, Thompson, Michael McDowell, & Tim Burton. Published by Puffin Books, 1994. ISBN 0-14-037121-4.
- Snow White, by Thompson & Julie Hickson. Published by s.n, 2000.
- Biography The New York Times.
- Biography Archived September 28, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. Yahoo! Movies.
- Black Beauty Review Entertainment Weekly.
- on making "Snow White: The Fairest of Them All"
- Stuart Kemp (Hollywood Reporter), "Screen Talk: No fairytale ending in sight", The Independent (UK), September 2, 2011
- N'Duka, Amanda (April 28, 2017). "Untitled Robert Zemeckis Project Starring Steve Carell Eyes Thanksgiving 2018 Release". Deadline. Retrieved April 28, 2017.
- Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas: The Film, the Art, the Vision, by Frank Thompson, Tim Burton. Published by Disney Editions, 2002. ISBN 0-7868-5378-6. Caroline Thompson – Page 179.