Durham, United Kingdom
|Alma mater||University of Cambridge|
Vout was born in Durham. She read classics at Newnham College, Cambridge, graduating in 1991, before taking a master's degree in Roman and Byzantine Art at the Courtauld Institute. She then returned to Cambridge for her doctorate, which was supervised by Keith Hopkins and Mary Beard.
She curated an exhibition on Antinous at the Moore Institute in Leeds and is on the academic advisory panel for the department of Greek and Roman antiquities at the Fitzwilliam Museum. She has written for The Times Literary Supplement and The Guardian, and appeared on the 2011 BBC Four documentary Fig Leaf: The Biggest Cover-Up In History and on BBC Radio 4's In Our Time.
- Antinous: the Face of the Antique. Leeds: Henry Moore Sculpture Trust, 2006.
- Power and Eroticism in Imperial Rome. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2007.
- The Hills of Rome: Signature of an Eternal City. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2012
- Sex on Show: Seeing the Erotic in Greece and Rome. London: British Museum Press, 2013
- Epic Visions: Visuality in Greek and Latin Epic and its Reception. (co-edited with Helen Lovet). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
- The Art Book Award (awarded by the Association of Art Historians) for Antinous; 2008. (Not available online to non-members.)
- Philip Leverhulme Prize, 2008
- Fellow, Society of Antiquaries of London
- Dr Caroline Vout at Faculty of Classics, University of Cambridge. Accessed 6 February 2016
- Vout 2012: 1
- From 'About the author', Vout: 2006
- Dr Caroline Vout at website of Christ's College, Cambridge. Accessed 6 February 2016
- Greek and Roman Gallery Project Members at Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge. Accessed 6 February 2016
- "The shock of the old: what the sculpture of Pan reveals about sex and the Romans". The Guardian, 24 March 2013. Accessed 6 February 2016
- Art History Newsletter February 2008 Archived May 15, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- Philip Leverhulme Prizewinners 2008. Leverhulme Trust, 2008. Accessed 6 February 2016