She graduated from Sarah Lawrence College, and City College of New York with an MA. She has lived, worked, and studied in West Berlin, Manhattan, and the South Bronx. She is married to and has children with psychology professor Linwood Lewis
Her work has appeared in The Literary Review, Callaloo, Fiction, and Sojourner: The Women’s Forum.
- Susan Richards Shreve, ed. (2003). "A Child's Garden of Verse". Dream Me Home Safely: Writers on Growing Up in America. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. ISBN 978-0-618-37902-6.
- John Updike, Katrina Kenison, eds. (2000). "Proper Library". The best American short stories of the century. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. ISBN 978-0-395-84367-3.
- Elizabeth Merrick, ed. (2006). This is not chick lit: original stories by America's best women writers. Random House, Inc. ISBN 978-0-8129-7567-3.
- Meri Nana-Ama Danquah, ed. (2003). "Wonderful Teen". Shaking the tree: a collection of new fiction and memoir by Black women. W. W. Norton & Company. ISBN 978-0-393-05067-7.
- Yolanda Williams Page, ed. (2007). Encyclopedia of African American Women Writers. Greenwood Publishing Group. ISBN 978-0-313-33429-0.