Carolyn Michelle Jarvis|
July 20, 1979
North York, Ontario, Canada
|Residence||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
Vancouver Academy of Music
Carolyn Michelle Jarvis (born July 20, 1979) is a Canadian television journalist, currently the chief correspondent for Global's newsmagazine program 16x9. Jarvis was born in North York, Ontario and grew up in Richmond, British Columbia. She earned a degree in music, but established a career in investigative journalism and as a news anchor.
Jarvis was born in North York, Ontario in 1979 and moved with her family to Richmond, British Columbia shortly thereafter. Jarvis earned a Bachelor of Music in vocal performance and moved to Toronto to pursue a career in musical theatre.
In 2001 Jarvis was a cast member on U8TV: The Lofters, where she produced content and hosted shows on the Independent Film Channel and The Life Network among others. The following year she joined the Weather Network as a forecaster and earned a Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society certification, while taking night courses at Ryerson University.
In 2004, Jarvis moved to Red Deer, Alberta and worked briefly for Global Edmonton's sister station RDTV before joining Global News as a reporter and anchor for Global Edmonton. Jarvis anchored the 6:00 News Hour weekend edition. In 2008, Jarvis became a correspondent and weekend anchor for Global National. During her time there Jarvis covered the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, the British Columbia forest fires, and the shooting of Arizona congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords. Jarvis also hosted Focus: Decision Canada, a national 30-minute program devoted to the 2011 federal election. In addition to being a correspondent for Global National, she also served as western correspondent for 16:9 The Bigger Picture (now 16x9).
In 2011, while anchoring Global National and reporting on the death of Osama bin Laden, Jarvis repeatedly referred to bin Laden as "Obama", shortly after she was reassigned. Jarvis became chief correspondent for 16x9 and investigated the British Columbia polygamist community of Bountiful, the use of stem cell treatment, and a behind-the-scenes look at casting for Cirque du Soleil.
|2002||U8TV: The Lofters||Herself||Season 2|
|2002||The Weather Network||Weather presenter|
|2008||16x9 TV series||The Bigger Picture western correspondent|
|2011||16x9 TV series||Chief correspondent||174 episodes|
- Jarvis won the RTNDA Dave Rogers award for her feature on Edmonton Symphony Orchestra conductor Bill Eddins.
- 2005 RTNDA Regional Award, Best Feature Reporting
- 2005 RTNDA Dave Rogers National Award, Best Feature Reporting
- 2006 RTNDA Diversity Award Honourable Mention
- 2009 GEMINI Nomination, Best Host in a News Information Program or Series
- 2010 GEMINI Nomination, Best News Information Series, 16x9
- 2011 RTDNA Dave Rogers Award, Long Feature
- 2011 RTDNA Hugh Haugland Award, Creative Use of Video
- "Carolyn Jarvis Biography". Global News.
- "The Lofters". IMDB.
- "CMOS-Endorsed Weathercasters". Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society. Archived from the original on 19 June 2004.
- "Carolyn Javis". Sizzling in Edmonton. Archived from the original on 18 April 2012.
- Canada.com: Carolyn Jarvis Archived March 4, 2016, at the Wayback Machine.
- ""It Was Obviously Unintentional" Says The EP Of Epic Osama/Obama Slip Up". Business Insider.
- Broadcaster Magazine: Global and CH News Win Eight 2005 RTNDA Awards
- RTDNA Canada David Rogers Award
- Playback Online: Gemini Nominees: Performance Categores
- GEMINI Nominations: Carolyn Jarvis
- Global News Boosts Fall Schedule, Broadcaster Magazine, September 7, 2011.