||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Carolyn P. Meinel (CPM) (born 1946) was notable in the hacking scene during the 1990s. Her books and website, called The Happy Hacker, are dedicated to a style known as script kiddie hacking. Some security experts, such as Brian Martin of Attrition, have criticized her writings, claiming that they are inaccurate and generally misrepresent hacking.
Her father is Aden Meinel and mother is Marjorie Meinel. Meinel married her first husband, Howard Keith Henson, in 1967 and divorced in 1981. Meinel has four daughters, one of whom is Valerie Aurora.
In 1996 Meinel was among the targets of a high-profile email bomber known as "Unamailer" or "johnny xchaotic".
- Uberhacker II: More Ways to Break into a Computer. Loompanics. 2003. ISBN 1-55950-239-8.
- The Happy Hacker 4th Edition. Lexington & Concord, distributed by American Eagle Publications. 2002. ISBN 0-929408-29-2.
- "For Love of a Gun," the history, technologies of electromagnetic guns, IEEE Spectrum, July, 2007, pp. 40 46.
- "How Hackers Break in and How they Are Caught," Scientific American, Oct. 1998,
- "How the West Was Won… or, The L-5 Society Defeated the Moon Treaty," Spacefaring Gazette, Vol. 10, No. 3, June/July 1994, pp. 1, 8.
- (Many other articles)
- http://attrition.org/errata/charlatan/shame/book.html Happy Hacker Book (reviews)
- http://attrition.org/errata/charlatan/shame/teach.html Carolyn Meinel: The Teacher
- Meinel, Carolyn (February 1997). verbosity -- Carolyn Meinel: Hack 101 (Transcript). Interview with Jess Morrissette. Verbosity. Retrieved January 6, 2011.
- "Unamailer explains bombings". CNET. 1996-12-30. Retrieved 2010-01-16.
|This biographical article relating to a computer specialist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a United States journalist born in the 1940s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|